Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems to happen at WOT in third gear, 4000 RPM's and up. The car falls on it's face, pings, and blows out a nice big cloud of smoke...This just recently started and does not happen consistently.

Does anyone know what could cause this?

·
Registered
50 Posts
How many miles do you have? Have you ever changed the plugs? I know Ford says "100K before your first tuneup", but don't believe it. (Well, maybe you can, if you want to put up with misfires and lousy performance for the last 40K miles.)

·
Registered
436 Posts
ZANGIEF said:
This seems to happen at WOT in third gear, 4000 RPM's and up. The car falls on it's face, pings, and blows out a nice big cloud of smoke...This just recently started and does not happen consistently.

Does anyone know what could cause this?
As JMR_Mystic96 said, platinums will make it to 60,000, but at a minimum, you need to pull them, clean them and regap them. They can go 100,000 miles, but not without some minor maintanence.

Also, the electronics in your MAF may have become dirty overtime, especially due to K&N filter oil. Might be time to pull the electronics and clean them. You will need tamper proof torx bits (available at Autozone, Oreilly Auto, etc). I usually use some alcohol and cotton swabs to clean mine, but any cleaner which doesnt leave a residue like brake cleaner will work. When cleaning it, be careful as the wires are fragile and can be broken if you get carried away.

If the detonation persists, there are a host of other possible causes such as: weak injector in one or more banks (ie. one weak on each side), weak fuel fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, bad air charge temp sensor, bad coolant temp sensor, bad O2 sensors, or possibly even bad crank position sensor. Of what I just listed, the fuel filter needs to be replaced about every 25 to 30,000 miles to be safe. Sensors usually fail testing by the eec so they typically throw a code, but theres always the case where they are borderline and wont show up. And finally, typically when the O2s start to go bad, they will read on the rich side causing a lean condition as your eec believes the car has too much fuel and corrects for it by mistake. I would save messing with the O2s as a last resort as they typically go up to 100,000 miles without a problem.

Tony

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car has about 73,000 miles on it. The fairly new plugs and wires have 10K on them. The MAF electronics have been cleaned and the fuel filter was replaced about 15K miles ago.

Would IMRC's be a possibility? I see a lot of posts regarding problems with them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts