Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put on a conical K&N on my friends 03 today. Also noticed the screen just sitting there, ready to be taken out. Is this a good idea for the 03s or no? I'm assuming it won't hurt, and just give a few extra HP. Just want to make sure it won't mess anything up.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Pull the screen. It's there to straighten out the air flow but the filter will do that too. You won't see any measurable gains but it can't hurt to clear it out anyway :).

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok will do. i've done it to every 5.0 i've worked on, but 5.0's have a little less sensitive electronics and such. so i just wanted to make sure it was ok, before i went and messed with it. thanks.

·
Registered
468 Posts
IMO leave it alone. If its not gonna help hp then whats the point???

·
Registered
29 Posts
This topic has been brought up before, and the best answer I heard was this - Do you really think Ford would have justified spending money on this screen if it didn't have a function?
IMO - leave it in there, as it does serve a purpose, and I hardly believe that a conical air filter straightens out the air flow.

·
Registered
385 Posts
On a normally aspirated motor, the screen removal does nothing and, sometimes but not always, caused idle problems (didn't on my '99 but I know others that it did). On an '03 at stock boost, it probably does very little. On an '03 under high boost, it's a restriction.

As for its purpose, on the '03 it seems pretty superfluous. I haven't met an '03 yet that shows the idle problems that removing the screen seemed to cause on pre-'03s. Whatever Ford did in programming and tuning the '03 they seemed to have fixed that, or at least hidden it completely.

And yes, the conical air element, especially when placed directly in front of the MAF helps create a laminar air flow. Perhaps it's not quite as effective as the screen but it's more than sufficient. Put a CAI with a bend or two in it in between and I'll agree all bets are off. Yet, there's a ton of '03's running just this setup, with no screen, and with none of the issues.

Leave it in, take it out, it sure looks like it's there out of tradition more than hard engineering to me. The '03 is a different beast in a lot of little ways, it seems.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The screen is very difficult to take out because of the way that Ford designed the assembly. If you want to take the screen out you will need to configure some type of replacement collar to swap with the screen. If you take out the entire assembly you will see what I mean.

·
Registered
399 Posts
If you have the aluminum adapter for the conical sold by SF Pulley or JDM it will not seat properly and could cause air leaks. I was going to put mine back in but the flange of the filter adapter is not counterbored to accept it. I recommend leaving it out.

·
Registered
385 Posts
FSU84 said:
If you have the aluminum adapter for the conical sold by SF Pulley or JDM it will not seat properly and could cause air leaks. I was going to put mine back in but the flange of the filter adapter is not counterbored to accept it. I recommend leaving it out.
I actually experimented with this because of the stalling issues I was having and I was trying to determine if the screen had an impact on it. I have the JDM adapter as well and I got some gasket material that was roughly the same thickness as the screen's rubber ring. I cut a gasket that would hold the screen in place and provide some more surface contact for the interface and provide a clean seal. Looked good and it allowed me to test it with and without the mesh in there.

It made absolutely no difference: dyno didn't show any difference, Autotap didn't show any difference, drivability didn't change, and I still had the stall at the time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I gutted my MAF screen about 15,000 miles ago, no problems ever since.

The screen can be easily removed by making a cross cut with sidecutters and then pulling out the big four pieces and most importantly the little tiny ones that remain near the rim of the gasket with needle nose pliers. Works like a charm and you can retain the seal.

Lobo

·
Registered
399 Posts
Smrgol, I am wondering if the MAF sensor could be dirty or have some oil on it from the aftermarket filter. Most of the dudes reporting stalling have CAI mods in their sig. A friend of mine printed out a page he found on the net about oil from a K&n filter altering the current through the sensor. It also said GM actually holds voltage on the sensor after the key is off to burn off any residue and Ford does not.

I was running on a 1/8 mile track two Sundays ago and trying out my single chamber Flows with turndowns for the first time. Flowmaster had a sheet that said the SC Flows could reduce the scavenging affect and the car may have to be retuned for their use. I was thinking it may lean out my car real bad for the tune I had on my chip. At Shadyside Dragway in NC they have the time signs well up the track so you can see your times as you go by. I made my best pass ever. I was real happy and knew I usually improve two tenths within my next two passes so I was expecting some unreal numbers. The excitement was short lived. As I started off the track my car would cut out real bad under throttle. It was sputtering and backfiring. I just knew I blew it up. I was able to drive it home. Under very light throttle it would run fine. Turns out a small piece of rubber was stuck to my MAF sensor that I found out the next day.. It was really welded to it so it took some work getting it off. There was some staining on the sensor so I tried to clean it the best I could with laquer thinner. When I put the MAF back on the car it ran very good but now stalls occasionally. I finally got a MIL and it was "mass air voltage low". When I pull up to a light my car will drop to 1000 rpm quick. Then after a few seconds it drops to 500 rpm quick then struggles as it picks back up to 750. A dude on one board said the sensor was very expensive. I was thinking he meant around $500. The sensor comes with the housing and cost $200 at a Ford dealer. It has a $75 core charge so final cost was $125.

·
Registered
385 Posts
FSU84:

I thought of that too. I've check and cleaned the MAF and monitored the MAF voltage and it looks OK. There's actually a Ford Special Service Message on one of the stalling issues because there's a bunch of stock '03's exhibiting it as well. This is the one that occurs on deceleration and the SSM makes no mention of the MAF, so Ford doesn't think that's the problem's source yet. They recommend a software update on the PCM. I'm hesitant to do that and I haven't had this happen for a few weeks now.

I also had a cold stall issue crop up with the cold weather that is definately related to my Diablo chip's programming. I was >< that close to getting a reburn but the problem went away during the testing process. The chip's going away eventually so I'm not too concerned about that one over the long haul.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Interesting discussion on the MAF screen. The idea of K&N filter oil changing sensor voltage is something I've not thought about before.

Also, smrgol mentioned his Diablo chip would be going away. What do you plan on running instead?

I'm only mildly modded, K&N, no silencer, and two-chamber Flowmasters. The car is running great with the stock chip, so I don't plan to do anything else to it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
red2kcbr:

Interesting discussion on the MAF screen. The idea of K&N filter oil changing sensor voltage is something I've not thought about before.
Well, imho, it's a theory. No more. There have been stories of folks who overloaded their K&N (and Amsoil for that matter) filters after cleaning and the excess fluid gets pulled into the intake system. But that's user error.

I, personally, no of no one who put a fresh K&N on their car and had this happen. I've talked with guys who use K&N in their fleet vehicles, some fleets in the hundreds, and they don't have this particular complaint. They get this when their techs overload the filter after cleaning but not on a new one.

I'm not saying it can't happen, I just don't think it's something to worry about unless your debugging the system like I've been and you've got to consider all the obvious stuff :).

Also, smrgol mentioned his Diablo chip would be going away. What do you plan on running instead?
I'm going to use the Afterburner-eFPC to tune AFR shortly. When ZFPP gets their timing control unit done I'll probably pull the chip completely.

Although, I'm still looking at the EECTuner too. I keep osciallating back and forth :).

I'm only mildly modded, K&N, no silencer, and two-chamber Flowmasters. The car is running great with the stock chip, so I don't plan to do anything else to it.
That's always safest ;). I plan to up the boost so I need to get a handle on all this crap :).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts