Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide between these two and cannot decide. It is for my 98 N/A Cobra. Based on your experience what would you recommend. Whichever I plan on getting I plan on also purchasing a new MAF also with either one. Please give me your suggestions so I can wring every once of power out of my car N/A.

Slim

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have a complete 100mm Densecharger on my car....I like it...the install was fairly easy...plus I like the fact that the filter is relocated very far from the engine bay.

You can install it with a 87mm Pro-M also....I just cut the center post out of my stock 80mm to improve flow...

If you decide to go with it, do yourself the favor, and remove that friggin air pump from the fender first. You'll thank yourself later.

There have been a few threads about CAI kits....do a search...tons of info...

Good luck!

VAiN

·
Registered
691 Posts
If you're considering the full-length kits:

Densecharger kit is cheaper.
Densecharger kit won't clear the strut tower brace. WMS will
WMS kit looks cleaner installed.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Get the WMS, more power, better fit, better looks, better quality, less problems! ;)

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I am very happy with the look and fit of my Anderson Power Pipe. Puts the mass air and filter where they get cool air and makes good power too. I had a WMS that I was not happy with the fit of and a UPR before this. UPR worked well but I wanted a more cold air style setup

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
VAiN said:

If you decide to go with it, do yourself the favor, and remove that friggin air pump from the fender first. You'll thank yourself later.

VAiN
I do not know if it will help with the Densecharger system but Vortech makes a kit to move the air pump. It comes with the blower kits and the anderson power pipe......About $40 from Vortech....made a lot of space down there

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
96 DOHC,

The Densecharger kit fits just fine with the strut-tower brace in place....you just have to backout a couple of studs that hold the spark-plug covers in place...I did it on mine.

As far as the quality....I believe it stands to reason that composite tubing will stay cooler then metal. The fit & finish on mine is great. No problems here.

VAiN

·
Registered
369 Posts
VAiN said:
96 DOHC,

As far as the quality....I believe it stands to reason that composite tubing will stay cooler then metal. The fit & finish on mine is great. No problems here.

VAiN

I thought that also but after hotlapping my car at the racetrack it wasnt hot at all. At least not a noticable difference from the stock one.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I helped John DeMolet R&D the 96-98 Cobra power pipe because I wanted a pipe that would fit under the STB and that was plastic. So in response to the person that said it won't fit.... :p

I don't run the extra 90* bend in the fender because I didn't want to have to move the Air pump and the "Up" position is supposed to be leaner than the "down" position.

The Densecharger doesn't stand out as much as some people would like, but it works. I picked up 32rwhp/21rwtq by adding BBK LT's, Pulleys, the full Densecharger kit(already had a K&N on prev dyno) and I switched out my 2 chamber flows for Magnaflow mufflers(which I doubt had much influence on my HP/TQ). The densecharger looks pretty stock compared to most powerpipes on the market, but I am not into chrome much. His new pipe is much improved over the "test" pipe I have on my car.

I doubt metal inlet tubes perform significantly worse than plastic ones, but I still like the idea of plastic not getting as heat soaked.

John is great to work with and he is dedicated to customer service/satisfaction. If you end up not being happy, I am sure he will work out some kind of deal with you.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I don't have any personal experience with either setup yet. What I stated about the looks is just my opinion based on the pictures I've seen on both manufacturers sites. The Densecharger looks good. I just think the WMS setup looks cleaner. As for the fit, I've read many posts that say the Denscharger won't fit under the factory strut tower brace. I e-mailed John about that a while back and he sent me some instructions that said I would need to "knock off some studs from the cam covers" and apply JB Weld to hold something in place. This doesn't sound like a difficult task, just not something I wanted to do. I'd prefer something that did fit under the brace. WMS said theirs would fit with no mods needed. It looks like it would be easier to install.
I do still like the Densecharger. I agree it should stay cooler than the others. It's adjustable. It's cheaper. I just can't bring myself to bust off a piece of the cam cover and slap JB Weld on it if that is required for it to work.
I've narrowed my choices down to between these two brands, but I haven't decided which one to get yet. My eyes and ears are still open to anyone's experiences with these.

·
Registered
554 Posts
So why wouldn't a STB fit with the Densecharger? Looks like there's room to me

·
Registered
29 Posts
96 DOHC - This past fall I had also narrowed my choices down to the Densecharger and the WMS. The rep at Densecharger told me (and sent instructions) I would need to notch out my STB about 1/2" to make it fit. It looks like a good piece but I just didn't want to cut up the STB. I went with the WMS set-up, TB to fenderwell, and it fits and looks great. I have no regrets on that decision.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
To get a densecharger to fit with the STB, all you have to do is back out 1 or 2 studs for the valve covers on the passenger side. You also might have to trim the very edge of the STB where t bolts to the strut tower. No JB weld required...just a pair of long-nose vice grips and maybe a sawsall/hacksaw....and you're ready. Easy enough job....

VAiN

·
Registered
126 Posts
Does anyone have a pic as to how the WMS setup looks from TB to fenderwell installed?

How does the Jet-Hot coating affect the temperature of the tube on WMS? I know the composite won't heat soak, but how much would the coating help the metal?

Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts