Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a King Cobra Clutch 600 miles ago. I did everything right when Installed, resurfaced the flywheel, new pilot, new throwout, and the new pressure plate in clutch. Everything was tightened to spec and loc-tite. The first 500 was allowed a nice break in as well. All the driving has been trouble free.... until today.

I went through 1st, 2nd, and then put it in 3rd, and this was not hard driving, and then my clutch pedal went limp. At first I thought my cable was d/c since I just installed a firewall adjuster and quadrant. To my horror, the cable was fine. What I then realized was the shift fork being forward (stuck), and wobbly. It was not on the pivot.... yet there was a bigger problem.

I just removed the tranny and bellhousing. When the bellhousing was off, the pressure plate was still Depressed. It was sitting there on the flywheel, depressed, What on earth would cause this? Faulty product? When the bolts for the pressure plate were being removed, the finger of the springs came up in stages, according to where the bolt was taken off. So I would remove a bolt, and a little section of fingers would srping up.

Now everything is out, and nothing looks extremely out of the ordinary, but I know there is a problem.... Anyone have any clue?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, yes I was. And it was scary (as I was going to drive it into the trailer I had it towed with)

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I thought I would stick it in gear and then start it.... Thinking about it now, it was probably best I could not do that...

The throwout seems as good as new.... and the retainer is fine.

Damn Cobra demons....

·
Registered
275 Posts
First, God probably had nothing to do with it. :) I had the same thing happen on my '97 Cobra twice with the stock clutch. I was able to get it to disengage by stomping on the clutch pedal a couple of times. I ended up replacing the clutch and throwout bearing and the problem never repeated. I would suspect you have a faulty clutch.

Now that I think about it, have you ever seen what happens when two pieces of glass are wet down and then placed together? It is almost impossible to separate them. You might have just had a similar situation with the clutch face and the flywheel. Just do a couple of clutch dumps on the street or something.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts