Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the dealer will, but will charge me $500 for the PLASTIC intake and $1200 in labor! Says 1998 GT wasn't included in the TSB/recall. I've seen the recall letter. My car has 88,000 miles on it, so not too many miles and not too old. Dang, for that kind of money, I'll get the motorsport or Bullitt intake and put it on myself.

Funds are tight, I just bought a house. I'm tempted to start a poll whether to keep the car in the garage while I work on it or to put it out on the front yard on blocks like a *******!

By the way, the dealer is Lance Cunningham Ford in Knoxville, TN.

Pitchar

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hey I paid around 254.00 if I am not mistaken for my intake manifold with the aluminum crossover coolant tube where mine had cracked. Well anyways there is no hope it happened over a year ago and the dealer wouldn't cover it and the stupid class action lawsuit isnt worth a damn either. I paid for the intake and got a socket set and a Haynes manual and knocked it out in one day and that is the first time I have ever done anything like that to a car before. Wasn't even hard at all.

·
Registered
333 Posts
sorry to hear that, join the club.........just fix it yourself, seriously, its easy.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Just look for a used intake on Ebay or on Corral... I just picked one up for $90 shipped, it's pretty common for it to be around that price.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
I believe you could get a PI Intake and/or Bullitt intake and bolt in on to your nPI heads........they make kits that adapt them now if I'm not wrong.

And I know you can get a PI for that price!!!!!

I'd tell em to go **** themselves.

-Will

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
For 649, Livernois motorsports has a kit that contains the PI intake, gaskets plus custom spacers so that the intake matches up perfectly. So you would at least be looking at like a 15 hp gain. That is NA. With your blower-should be more. I got a saleen take off PI intake for $125 from Dave's mustang parts. I'm going to try and make my own adapters. One guy bolted the PI intake directly onto the NPI heads and seems to be doing ok. Another guy tried it and it leaked. Bottom line is the clearance between the two is close but not exact. Especially with a blower, the direct bolt on is asking for leaks in my opinion.
Erich

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I orded the TSB from Helm's for $6 just to see what the intake leak is all about and what it covers exactly, along with the shop manual. If I can't make them do it for free, I'll do it my dang self.

I looked at the PI intake and kit. Maybe I'll go that route.

Thanks all.

Pitchar

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
for 2 grand you could do a PI headswap, or a 99+ motor, or for 100-200 bucks you can buy a PI intake, find the thread around here that says how to swap them out, and pick up a few ponies while doing it :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've got a Non-PI stock intake I'll sell you if you'd like. Its off my 96. Same as your cracked 98 intake. I replaced it when I did the PI headswap. The original intake that came on the car cracked at 52,000miles. It was replaced under warranty. No problems with the replacement. I did the headswap at 82,000 miles. So the replacement intake has 40k miles on it. $100 bucks and its yours.

·
Registered
132 Posts
my early 99 model cracked and they wouldnt replace it either i was pissed !! i only paid 189 for the intake swap kit and did it my self ...just change the plugs while your at it ....easy job just time consuming if you dont have lots of tools for everything ..and if you do it ..do your self a favor and dont remove the whole wiring harness like i did ..what a pita !!

·
340 Posts
You're not alone... they wouldn't cover mine either. And when I went to buy the one with the aluminum runner, the parts department wanted almost $400 for it. I bought it from a Ford Parts department manager off of another mustang board, new for less than $200 shipped to my door.

If you end up doing it yourself, it's not too hard. Here are some pictures of my replacement that I did. It might help a little...

http://community.webshots.com/album/72370370hPeenK

I tore mine down more than once because I couldn't find the leak. I finally did and replaced it with the newer one.

·
Registered
441 Posts
i got a 2002 intake with a 98 intake aluminum crossover so you can have the 2 temp sensors screw in without tapping the intake...$125 plus shipping and it's yours...email me at pony4p[email protected] if interested

·
Registered
56 Posts
pony4pt6
I've owned 98's and 01's. Never seen an aluminum crossover for a 98 or 01 yet your offering one for sale???? 96-98 and 99+ have different intake shapes, not the best compatibility crossing the two IMO.

98GTmd
Got a blower and asking for dealer to fix your intake? The 96-97 had the problem, not the 98's and you have a blower.
Hmmmmm, no brainer, Ford will not fix for free. Buy used or fork out for FRPP unit.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
GT4point6

So you're saying the 98 intake is different from the 96-97? I read one of the recall letters, the crack on my intake is the exact same place described. So you think the NOVI 1000 cracked the intake?

Pitchar

·
Registered
333 Posts
It doesnt matter, they will not fix it. Yes, Its retarted, but thats just the way it is. And the day I had my car tuned(with the S/C) my intake cracked...coincidence........I think not........

·
340 Posts
GT4Point6 said:
pony4pt6
I've owned 98's and 01's. Never seen an aluminum crossover for a 98 or 01 yet your offering one for sale???? 96-98 and 99+ have different intake shapes, not the best compatibility crossing the two IMO.
Yes there is an intake for 96-98 that has the aluminum crossover. It is not the '99 intake. It costs more that the non-aluminum one.

GT4Point6 said:

98GTmd
The 96-97 had the problem, not the 98's and you have a blower.
Hmmmmm, no brainer, Ford will not fix for free. Buy used or fork out for FRPP unit.
Yes the '98s had the same problem. For whatever reason Ford did not include us in the TSB.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I just changed mine when it cracked the thermostat housing. Regular price at the local 'stealer' parts counter was 248 for the aluminum crossover.

That was for my 96 gt. It took a couple of hours to do it with nothing but simple hand tools.
Change the rear heater hose while your there, mine split just last week and made a mess of the engine bay in the middle of a snow storm.

The blower was not the reason the water passage cracked. Ford should have changed it years ago.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts