Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm purchasing a 450hp DDMI twin turbo kit. I have some questions as a turbo newby. I've read all of the info on the turbo forum and seem to be getting conflicting info.

How is fueling controlled on this kit?
The included MAF is a Pro Flow PFT-77 30 set up for 30lb injectors. Does this seem suitable for the kit?
Would a modern single turbo kit be more desirable as far as under hood temps and ease of maintenance?
Will a single turbo kit spool up as quick as the ddmi twins?

·
4,305 Posts
I would bet a modern single could spool better, all comes down to turbo sizing after all. I personally rather have the DDMI but I would be happy with what the DDMI provides and not want more, you can't really get more or anything significantly more out of those kits. 30lb injectors sounds about right given the time period that kit came out but what I do not remember is if they also used a FMU with that. I know making a little more power than that via a Vorturd and 30lb injectors back then I had to run an FMU with not too big a ratio disc inside it.

My worries would be around how old that kit is and the condition of the turbos and related parts after so much time and I assume usage during that time.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
If my memory is correct, those turbos are close to being maxed out. I'm not sure if you can get parts for them anymore, I would call around and ask before I bought it. It was definitely a nice kit when it came out. I like the cast manifolds. For some reason i recall the frame rail had to be notched???? I used to have the sales brochure and installation instructions. I don't think to many were sold. There is much better technology out now imo. It is a cool kit though. Turbos are somewhat hidden.
Post up some pictures of you do buy it.

·
4,305 Posts
From what I remember you do not have to notch the framerail for the DDMI kit. You also did not for the very bottom Incon kit, which was basically an enhanced DDMI hit. When you stepped up on the Incon kits you had to notch the framerail, I think that meant if going to the 800tti and 1000tti kits from Incon. I do not think much can be done to the turbos on a DDMI kit to get more power/efficiency but then again those kits are very old and who knows maybe a good turbo builder could do something but I would not expect a big increase.

I'd get the kit but I always liked the cast iron manifolds, how the kit fit the cars, how you can keep all accessories down to the smog pump, and the power delivery of them. I would be happy with what probably is a max of 450 fwhp but these days that is not much power when looking at how much new cars been making for years. My worry would still be in the condition of the kit, the thing needs to be cheap because the appeal of it would not apply to most people.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Yes snipe I believe you are right. The higher model ddmi kit needed the notching. Boy it has been a long time.
Is my memory correct some had thr exhaust manifolds crack?

·
4,305 Posts
Yes snipe I believe you are right. The higher model ddmi kit needed the notching. Boy it has been a long time.
Is my memory correct some had thr exhaust manifolds crack?
The DDMI kit is what later became the Incon kit. The Incon kit, of course, was updated some from what the DDMI was. I do not think any level of the DDMI required the frame rail to be notched, I think it was the Incon kits that needed this and only the ones above the base kit. I think most of the Incon kits people bought were what I remember being called the 800tti, this kit required the frame rail to be notched. Incon made a kit with bigger turbos than that, but they never seemed to perform to the expectations and many suspected the exhaust manifolds were the limiting factor at that point. I do not recall DDMI or Incon kits having manifolds cracking but that is not to say not possible, especially if the manifolds with the bigger turbos turned out to be the restriction.

Also, I think the DDMI kit used a more off the shelf turbo whereas the Incon used some sort of hybrid deal that would make for harder to get replacements.

I am of course going all off memory here and this was all many beers and moons ago. So I could be wrong on some of this. I am sure a more motivated individual could find the details via some Google searches.

If I had a nice 5.0L fox body I would love to do what I guess be more a restomod build on these days. Part of that would be to install a DDMI or Incon kit.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Sorry I thought incon but typed ddmi. I think it is a cool kit but think you would be happier with a newer single kit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts