Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must say this Mark VIII fan blows like a fart outta Shreks rear. It could problably cool over Hell. The only quirk would be that at full speed the fan Needs JUICE and I couldn't see how anything other than a 3g would last. The Dccontrol is simply awesome temp stays @ temp set. The controller is small and easily mounted just about anywhere. The temp sensor is tiny and easily slips between the rad fins, All the hardware included is top notch and I fully recomment it. Im not at all good with electronics and this made it easy and worry free. I do have a couple of questions.

1. ) The dccontrol has a setting for underdrive pulleys (I have underdrive pulleys) just how does it work ? When my fans goes on full speed my alt guage drops a line or 2. (little worried bout my battery) I did not install that setting because it states that Im supposed to have the (yellow) Auxillary Ignition in order to use it.

2.) The auxillary ignition wire install states that it needs to be wired to a power source with no more that 6v whenever the ignition is on. Where have other users connected this wire ? I have my dccontrol on the passengers side attached to the shroud. Will this connection ease the power draw ?

I e-mailed this question to Baskin bout a week ago and he has not replied.

Thanx!
Ralph

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Madmiamian said:
1. ) The dccontrol has a setting for underdrive pulleys (I have underdrive pulleys) just how does it work ? When my fans goes on full speed my alt guage drops a line or 2. (little worried bout my battery) I did not install that setting because it states that Im supposed to have the (yellow) Auxillary Ignition in order to use it.

Underdrive
Connect the provided jumper(13,14) to render a 10 % minimum current to the fan and water pump whenever the ignition is on in order to provide a nominal flow. The ignition input wire must be connected to use this feature.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Madmiamian said:
2.) The auxillary ignition wire install states that it needs to be wired to a power source with no more that 6v whenever the ignition is on. Where have other users connected this wire ? I have my dccontrol on the passengers side attached to the shroud. Will this connection ease the power draw ?
Auxiliary wiring
Ignition input
Connect the yellow ignition input wire of the harness to the unit and to any source that is higher than 6 V whenever the ignition is on.

So, it's just a normal 12V wire when the ignition is on.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Ralph, that looks like a nice setup. What dccontrol kit did you get and how much was it if you don't mind me askin and where did you get your fan from? I plan on doing the 3g and mark 8 fan after my h/c install.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
The U/D pulley setting on the DCControl unit keeps the fan on continuously when the ignition key is on.

By keeping the fan "always on" (albeit at a low voltage/slow speed), the aim is to keep the mixture a little cooler to make up for the lack of coolant flow of the U/D pulleys.

You can tap into the wiper motor for an ignition hot wire.

·
Registered
12,785 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the underdrive pulley setting unless you start seeing cooling issues at low speed. I had initially planned on setting mine that way, but decided against it untill I see how it cools. Course, I've got a 140a Powermaster alternator as well.

If you decide later on to do the u/d setting, just pop the jumper on and your iginition wire, and you'll be good to go.

I'm about 75% complete on my mk8 + FMS alum rad. + dccontroller install.
:D

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
hey 93cobra,

Hows does the Mark VIII fit with the FMS radiator? How much of the shroud did you have to cut off? Im looking for a new radiator that will not give me any problems when I go to install the mark 8 fan.

·
Registered
12,785 Posts
Funny you should ask:
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=3682825

Short story - with minor (though somewhat time consuming) mods, it will fit. I trimmed 1/2" off the mk8 shroud.

There may be better fits as far as radiators go, but at the time I bought mine (~5 years ago), there wasn't a lot out there that was under the $500 range.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I agree with 93Cobra#2771 on the U/D pulley setting issue. If you don't see any cooling problems, I'd leave it set as is.

Blk89GT, unless you have serious cooling needs, the stock radiator should work just fine.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Well, my stock rad. right now is completely clogged and looks like a corral reef inside. Im having a difficult time trying to decide which rad. replacement would be better, Well, maybe not a difficult time, but im not sure what would be overkill, and what would be not enough.

93Cobra, I'de like to see some pics when yours is done!:cool:

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Blk89GT,

Without knowing your exact combo, we can't help, but I suspect that you will be fine with a stock replacement.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Blk89GT,

Without knowing your exact combo, we can't help, but I suspect that you will be fine with a stock replacement.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Right now, the motor is stock, but when funds permit, im going to do heads, cam, intake, etc... Im even considering a 331 or 342.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Fellas :

Sorry bout not answering sooner but I wasn't getting e-mails informing me that I had replies. Anyways, I have decided to leave it be without the u/d jumper this fan is doing an excellent job at cooling. I dropped in a new 2 core instead of my 4 core because my rad was looking weak, its still good but it has seen better days. I also believe that the thickness of the 4 core was impeeding on the mechanical fans ability to draw air. This Mark VIII fan can draw enough air to pull a grapefruit through a garden hose.

I have an extra fan for sale ! $85.00 + shipping.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Madmiamian said:
Sorry bout not answering sooner but I wasn't getting e-mails informing me that I had replies.
Uhm, this is the corral, remember? ;) We're happy when the servers don't puke on every request. :D

Madmiamian said:
I have an extra fan for sale ! $85.00 + shipping.
What type of fan? If it's a MKVIII, early or late MKVIII?

·
Registered
12,785 Posts
Keep a watch on the thread I posted in my earlier post. I plan on throwing my pictures up there, or maybe even starting a separate thread. Either way, I'll post into that thread where the pictures are going to.

Uhm, this is the corral, remember? We're happy when the servers don't puke on every request.
:lol:

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Blk89GT: I have heads/intake/exhaust/gears (stock cam) and the stock radiator had NO PROBLEM keeping the temps down in the south Florida heat (until the rad went bad). Along with a powerful electric fan like the Lincoln/Taurus/T-bird/SN95 units, you shouldn't have a problem.

Madmiamian:

"...grapefruit through a garden hose..."
"...GOLFBALL through a garden hose..." I love that movie!

Name that movie?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Where would be the best place to buy a stock replacement?? I know Ford is going to charge an arm and a leg. I was also looking at the summitt aluminum rad for $180 (I believe).

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I've had a modine replacement w/ a lifetime warranty now for a couple yrs w/ no problems whatsoever.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts