Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide whether to purchase the Bullitt front brakes kit for my '00 GT from PPI. I've searched all over for hard data on stopping distances for the Mustang GT and the Bullitt, so I can make some kind of comparison in stopping distances. Yes, I know there can be other factors, such as the Bullitt having different rear brakes than the GT and may weigh more, etc. but at least I could get some ideas. One report I read on the Bullitt stated that it stopped 60-0 in ONE FOOT less than a GT! To me, that's not worth the $400 price of the upgrade. My car will likely never see any road course action, but I'd like to improve it's street braking performance without spending a ton of money.

Anyone know where I can get some hard numbers? Anyone installed one of these Bullitt brake upgrades and care to offer comments on their performance compared to stock GT brakes?

Thanks all!
Jack

·
Registered
411 Posts
Other things to take into account is that you'll have consistantly less braking distance and less fade after repeated use with the Bullit or Cobra brakes due to their larger diameter over the GT's brakes.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Distance

Don't forget the extremely important role that tires play here.

If you go the Brembo site you will not find any stopping data results posted.

A few years back one of the Mustang mags did a comparison test of the major sport tuners vehicles and posted all the stopping results (in additional to all other performance results). Mind you I would take it with a grain of salt as they all had different tires. Baer had the greatest stopping ability and I think that was with the Alcons.

Where the Mustang really falls short is the repeated stopping. Stock brakes are extremely prone to fade.

I upgraded my brake system and am extremely pleased. I really like the larger rotor (transfering that foward energy into heat energy via the rotor), my opinion is the bigger the better (and not just diameter either).

If you decide to get the Bullitt upgrade it is a better caliper and the rotor is larger (13"), plus it's red and has the pony on it, not a bad deal.

Hop

·
Registered
494 Posts
MM&FF I believe dec. issue did a comparison on the two and I can't remember the exact numbers but they were substantially better than the stock ones.So much so I went and did it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts