Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone point me to a diagram for the dash harness? I am putting an aftermarket radio in my car, and all the ''premium sound" stuff is gone. That's fine. I don't want it. There are a lot of "radio wiring diagrams" that come up in a google search, but they are simplified, and wrong. I have the car all tore apart and half the car harness is out so I can't dig in with a test light and figure out what is what.

I do not want an adapter/harness from Crutchfield.

I need:

Constant power
Key-on and Accessory power
and dash lights power (signal to dim the display with head lights on.)

I'm running all new speaker wires, so I don't need any of those.

Please help! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
First of all, what year Mustang?

Then, if buying from Crutchfield, why not get their adapter harness? That makes it a no brainer and you're not cutting, splicing into your dash harness in the event that someday, you might want the OEM connectors.

Otherwise, a test light will find your voltages w/o a diagram

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car is a 1993 (10 of 1992 build date.) If someone could point me in the direction to a wiring diagram for the radio that would be great. I've googled this and done some looking, everything I've found seems to focus on upgrading to Premium Sound, or newer radios. The common diagrams that pop up are simplified and don't match my car. They seem to focus on the plugs that go into the radio, from out of the amplifier on Premium Sound cars.

I need a diagram or pin out of the two connectors that come out of the dash harness.

Thank you.

·
Registered
615 Posts

This is the connector view it shows for non premium stereo if it helps. I have the full '93 wiring manual if this isn't what ya need or if you need the full diagram, just let me know

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is the connector view it shows for non premium stereo if it helps. I have the full '93 wiring manual if this isn't what ya need or if you need the full diagram, just let me know
This helped a little. Thank you! I think all cars have the Amp harness in them. I dug up an amp and harness from my many totes of parts, and these plugs are the same as the dash-to-amp-to-radio harness. With this and plugging into my dash harness I was able to figure out what was what coming from the dash. I hope! lol! Thanks!

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
For the record (and this is from someone who's been doing audio 6 days a week for 25 years) it's annoying having the dimmer wire hooked up, unless your source unit has the ability to turn the feature on/off. Sure it's fine at night. But during the day, if you ever have your lights on...makes it pretty difficult/annoying to see the display.

Just an FYI.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input, but I'll be fine. I don't drive around durring the day with my lights on much. Plus with the terrible location of the radio in these cars, I'll be Brailling my way around for the most part at most times.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts