Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having never had the money to drop on a Dart block, I have just about saved enough pennies and dimes to get one...

What machine work needs to be done to them? I will probably go with 4.125" bore and 4" stroke, 6.250" rods and about 14:1 compression (methanol) or thereabouts. Do they have to be line honed? I know the bores need to be finish honed. What about lifter bores? Oiling mods?

Last question-who can supply me with everything I need? Kuntz & Co. is close and so is Keith Craft but if anyone can suggest any reason not to use them, I'll take it into serious consideration.

·
Registered
17,637 Posts
where exactly are you located... ???

the guys in ark-e-delphia are top notch.....!!!!

as are others.......

that level of a shop is not going to do shortcuts and will usually not do the complete job unless it is the way that they want it to be...

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Most shops are reluctant to blindly machine a block ... I would assume this includes Kuntz (Although I know KC does it.) Problem is you don't know exactly WHAT dimension to machine it to unless you have parts to actually check and verify. Close might work for "most" but not all.

The blocks are generally tight on the mains, it's a clearance item that may, or may not, need to be addressed. Lifters and cam tunnel are generally fine, bores need to be finished. Deck may or may not be machined depending on your surface finish and height preference.

No oiling mods are required, they're a priority main and unless you're running a dry sump or looking to restrict oil to the top end it's straight forward (even then it's straight forward, just slightly different.)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I had a lot of "extra" machine work on my Dart block. EVERYTHING was checked out. My total to have my engine machined and assembled (machine work and labor only) was $4200.

I had pretty much everything done that you can think of. The engine builder used several sets of main bearings until "my set" was installed.

Good Luck. It gets expensive. If you have to ask how much it costs you can't afford it!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts