Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
look in the new july 2002 issue of 5.0 mustang & super fords and u will see the b/s marketing test that dart is playing. at first the new block would cost around 2,000 and now in the new issue they say the new block will cost around 2,500. is this a crock $**** or what ? i hope ford racers are on to this b/s and send dart a strong message that we won't buy it. at 2,500 that block is not a deal. if we stick together on this and stop calling them ref. their product they'll come down on the price and stop the b/s. remember together we stand and divided we fall. f.o.r.d.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have not seen that issue yet. Did they say it would list at $2,500? That is hopefully what they were referring to. The actual street price is usually lower. If they are planning to stick us with a higher price, I agree with your plan of action. I can definitely wait, and I do not mind using a R302 block either.

Tim

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Like anyone here is making enough power to justify buying $2500 worth of cast iron! I think the majority of us will stick with the tried and true Sportsman, A4 and R302, and save nearly $1K!!

·
Registered
431 Posts
From what I've seen personally so far the Ford blocks are still superior anyway. When Dart works out their problems and the prices come down these blocks might be a good buy. Right now they are not at all. I can't believe they think their blocks are worth more than the Ford castings. The Ford castings are very nice. Right now the Darts I've seen are still core shift city.

·
Registered
55 Posts
A buddy of mine bought one for $2150 and another guy told me that Wynnespeed has them for $1900.

Rick

·
Registered
14 Posts
racer7088 said:
From what I've seen personally so far the Ford blocks are still superior anyway. When Dart works out their problems and the prices come down these blocks might be a good buy. Right now they are not at all. I can't believe they think their blocks are worth more than the Ford castings. The Ford castings are very nice. Right now the Darts I've seen are still core shift city.
Thanks for chiming in about the quality. I did not know there were any issues with these blocks. :eek:

Tim

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
not one dart block has shipped for retail sale, so nobody has recieved the final product yet. retail is listed at 2300, with racer list being a little over 1900 (1930.00?). the dealer cost will be in the 1700 range at the most, with wholesale guys getting them for a bit less. i would expect the street price to be right about 1900, and after a year or two down to the 1750 range. that puts them right at r block price, due to less machining the total ready to run cost will be a bit less. i didnt get a straight answer, but i was lead to believe a standard ford roller, or flat tappet cam would work. no special non taperd journal cams required, so this save a little cash as well.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Tim,

You're welcome. I've seen several of the preproduction blocks as well as having to sit through some seriously ridiculous "lectures" from this DART idiot who thought the block had been converted to Chevy oiling! I told him that it was already like that from Ford with the exception of the frontrossover and that the Dart block was no different from the SVO blocks really but hopefully that they would help cheapen the market up for the grassroots guys. The DART Chevy block is the one that's been converted to Ford oiling not the other way around! I took him over to the Ford area and he was shocked that the oiling was already priority on the Windsors! You can run both crossovers or either or neither so you can make it priority when oiled from either end. You can on some of the SVO blocks now as well though.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I guess I should say in DART's defense that the lifters and such are finished as compared to most of the SVO which are not. You have to hone them a little more to size but then you can cooontrol lifter clearance more but it is more machining and trouble.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I ordered a Dart block.IMO it's not much more than a R302.The block is thicker,better oiling,is fully machined and requires no special cam bearings.
The R302 block has the 20 holes around the cylinders that need to be tapped and capped,plus a FULL machine job.
The Dart block comes with Billet main caps and can be bored .186 and still have 3/16 wall thickness.I paid $2150.
You dig deep for quality.

Beau

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.