Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to let everyone know,the Dart block is being sold..I got off the phone with Dart and they said they only company that has been selling there blocks is Doug Herbert Performance.
I got off the phone with Dart and called up Doug Herbert and placed my order.The cost of the block is $2195+shipping.
They said there's about a 4-6 week wait.

Beau

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
sheesh for that much you could get a machined ready to go R block!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike Gager said:
sheesh for that much you could get a machined ready to go R block!
The dart block is a much better block.There's not all those water jackets to tap and plug,special cam bearing($110) and the caps on the Dart are billet...
Plus you can bore it out to 4.186 and still run boost safely.

Beau

·
Registered
810 Posts
for the extra money you can get an r block and have it machined ,dart blocks dont come fully machined ,wynne speed has it for $1900 (the dart block.)

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
dart blocks dont come fully machined
According to Dart, they ARE fully machined, and come finish bored in either 4.00" or 4.125". That is what the rep told me on the phone.

·
Registered
810 Posts
todd said:
An R block is 1600, and requires 1200-1500 in machine work...tell me how that is better deal?

todd
cause your gonna spend money on machining a dart block anyway cause it B.S that it comes fully machined cause it doesnt.might as well spend the money on machining.i don't know who you take your engines to but around here they dont charge $1200-1500 to machine an R block.my buddie is getting his done with good internals and all for $2800 and according to the guy it will handle some heavy amounts of boost.my buddie is building a renagade car.Pro5.0 cars use R blocks .i dont think ive heard of anyone splitting an R block.good luck.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Bottom line is the Dart blocks are stronger than the SVO blocks. They have some features that make setting them up cheaper than the SVO blocks. To each his own...

·
Registered
394 Posts
it all looks fine and dandy on paper and what they say.... now somebody run it and lets see how it does.....sure its kinda expensive but the bottom line is will it perform as much as it costs...

·
Registered
456 Posts
sgarcia89lx said:
cause your gonna spend money on machining a dart block anyway cause it B.S that it comes fully machined cause it doesnt.might as well spend the money on machining.i don't know who you take your engines to but around here they dont charge $1200-1500 to machine an R block.my buddie is getting his done with good internals and all for $2800 and according to the guy it will handle some heavy amounts of boost.my buddie is building a renagade car.Pro5.0 cars use R blocks .i dont think ive heard of anyone splitting an R block.good luck.

1600+1200=2800 Does math work like that for you? Your buddy didn't get good internals if that is the cost of the entire sb or some sponser is fronting some $ for the work. My 347 SB cost over 4K with a forged stroker kit, 1K in machine work to a 289 block. That was for a align hone of the mains, bore w/ plates, decked and balanced. The R block also requires the cam align hone and lifter bores sized. That is the extra crap completed on the dart. When I seen Gliddens car it had an aluminum block....not an R.

todd

·
Registered
810 Posts
todd said:

1600+1200=2800 Does math work like that for you? Your buddy didn't get good internals if that is the cost of the entire sb or some sponser is fronting some $ for the work. My 347 SB cost over 4K with a forged stroker kit, 1K in machine work to a 289 block. That was for a align hone of the mains, bore w/ plates, decked and balanced. The R block also requires the cam align hone and lifter bores sized. That is the extra crap completed on the dart. When I seen Gliddens car it had an aluminum block....not an R.

todd

·
Registered
810 Posts
todd said:

todd
he bought the block for $1500 and is having a pro engine builder do his motor for $2800 labor and good internals .

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Well, I will probably be one of the first ones to order one, so I will tell you if it needs additional machining or not.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I think another point to look at is the other side of Dart blocks....you all know it the ones made for chevy....i know alot of the chevy guys have had good foundations from dart blocks....

i would expect a excellent product from them being that their reputation is on the line especially for alot of future sales being that the windsor line has been discontinued...

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
sgarcia89lx said:
how many of you realisticly will go beyond the limits of an R block?:confused:

Since I will have a 4.125" bore size, I guess I will be beyond the limits of an R block.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts