Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I need to use a special tool or procedure to install a new damper to a new crank like a Powerbond to an Eagle 4340?

If the damper bolt reaches the female threads in the crank, once I slide on the new damper by hand, I don't understand the need for an install tool. Otherwise I do. Is that what dictates the need for an install tool?

Thanks for any replies!!

·
Premium Member
14,998 Posts
SFI balancers typically fit snugger than stock balancers. The fords aren't as bad as chevies for having crank threads fail, but it does happen. An install tool will engage all the crank threads and then load the threads of the installer with a nut, to pull the balancer down.

One trick is to preheat the balancer to about 150 degrees, antsieze the crank snout, align balancer and use a BFH (rubber) to start the balancer down the shaft.

THen quickly engage the install tool, and pull the balancer all the way on. The heated balancer has less a interferance fit.

Stock stuff, almost drops on....... and just as easily falls off. Sometimes when we dont want it to.

·
Registered
236 Posts
If you have between .002 and .005 clearence and it still slides on I wouldn't worry about it. Mine slides on to a certain point then gets tight, I didn't force the issue because it wasn't time to install it yet. I intend to push it as far as I can then put the crank bolt in to get it home. If your grabbing good thread I wouldn't worry about it but I'm subscribing just to see if I'm wrong

·
Registered
236 Posts
so run a threaded rod to the bottom of the hole on the crank then crank down a nut (with the appropriate washers), that would work as long as the rod was using all the threads...correct?

·
Premium Member
14,998 Posts
Yup Thats all my home built install tool is. A 3" or so grade 8 bolt, that I can bottom in the crank, with a nut and large washer. I hold the bolt head with a socket, and drive the nut with a box wrench. Never ever ever ever stripped a crank. And my SFI balancer goes on with a 4' cheater bar..........

·
Premium Member
14,998 Posts
Nope.... tolerance on a good balancer is probably .001 to .0015 Its SNUG..... the stock stuff. Ive had em litteraly fall on. Then told the owner, its time to buy a NEW balancer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts