Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my factory original cable just came out, and in went the d&d cable.

I don't like it.
It is very noticably harder to push in than the stock one, and I swear it does not return as quickly.
It does not really have any feel to it, just same pressure all the way in, and same pressure all the way out. Cannot seem to "feel" the sweet spot on the clutch.
I believe that there is so much internal friction in the cable that all feel of the clutch is abolished, and why in the world would my clutch all of a sudden have a heavier pedal?

This cable sucks in my opinion.

Do they "break in"?
I'm seriously considering going back down to the shop and having my 11 year old stock one put back in.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I haven't used the D&D cable, but I have used a few other aftermarket ones, and the factory Ford cable is my favorite.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Hate to say it, but the D&D cable IS the new Ford cable. You can get them for $30 from D&D, pay $170 at the dealer, or get the cable/fork combo from FRPP for around $50. It is actually the best cable out there, all the others, like the AutoZone cable, are junk, and will break easily!

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, i hear that here and there...
my stock cable was very nice, but when the quadrant took a dump...
I've driven a friends car with the stock cable and exact same clutch, and it feels nice.
I've driven another friends car with a ford supplied cable, and an even more rugged clutch, and his feels fine.
To push mine in, I nearly come out of the seat, but it release's light as a feather... what's up with that!? There is something just plain not right with this cable.

I've picked up a Ford cable, and will be putting it in tomorrow... we'll see.

·
Registered
109 Posts
You simply need to pull the cable off at the bellhousing and make sure it isn't twisted. The slightest bit of twist in the routing or mounting of the cable will cause a very stiff pedal. I have been through this very situation. :D

·
Registered
348 Posts
I never knew clutch cables were such a big deal. I put the D&D on and haven't thought about it since. No complaints here.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i will check for twist and re-try the D&D...
otherwise, it's time to try the FoMoCo...

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, pulled it out of the car.
white lithium'd and teflon'd the livin' blazes out of it...
thru it back in, and presto... very nice operating set-up.
You would never know it was the same parts.
Clutch pedal is lighter than it was with the stock cable/gradrant, more precise, lots of 'feel'...

D&D, ought to add to the instructions that you have to lube the snot outta these things...

·
Registered
10,938 Posts
Aren't the stock cables Teflon lined? Are the "new" cables teflon lined? If so, they should not need all that lube!

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
stock are teflon lined.
D&D is definatly not.

while they may look similar, and may be produced by the same company, they are definatly not the same product.
The D&D cable is somewhat loose inside the housing, while the stock cable is not...

I've gotten my D&D to work, but, after a day and a half of booting around, it has a ratchet-y feel too it, I assume lube is getting wore off the high friction areas and getting pushed to areas of void and low friction.

I'm saving for a stock cable...

·
Registered
10,938 Posts
cleanLX said:
stock are teflon lined.
D&D is definatly not.

I'm saving for a stock cable...
I have to agree, but are you gonna get the good teflon lined unit like you had stock? I'd pay a premium for that!

I wonder what's with mine - I've got 184,000 on the chassis so I'm praying it got replaced somewhere along the line. The heads under the valve covers and in the lifter valley were spotless when I pulled my lower for porting.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tmoss said:
I have to agree, but are you gonna get the good teflon lined unit like you had stock? I'd pay a premium for that!
Yes. They list for handy to 130 for the real deal...
It'll be worth every penny.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
If by some fluke the cable from D&D is not teflon lined like it should be, then just get the kit from FRPP for the new stock cable. You'll get a new cable and the fork for about $50 rather than spending $170 at the dealer for just the cable. I'm not sure why the D&D cable is screwed up, they come from the same place that makes them for Ford and for the FRPP kit (M-7553-A302)! Just my $.02...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts