Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post on here but, after reading everything on this forum for help in the past, I've finally decided to reach out for some input on what could be causing the problems I'm having with my 2000 GT.

For starters, I've learned a lot about my car over the last two months, I've replaced the intake manifold after it cracked and blew coolant everywhere, replaced my clutch, flywheel and lots of other small things. I put a little more money into this car than I'd like to but, it's my first nice car that I want to baby. Everything I have learned to do by myself from reading forums and watching videos.

Now, I am met with a problem that has been bugging me for the last three weeks. I'm currently traveling for work, but all I can think about is what's causing the misfire codes to be read on my reader. I'm have the cylinder 1 and a pending code read for cylinder 5. I do not know if it started after I replaced my intake manifold because literally 1 day after replacing it, my clutch burned out so it sat for a few weeks. Also, I didn't have a code reader at the time either to see what the CEL was flashing for. After I replaced my clutch and flywheel and stitched everything back together, I was on the road again and it sure was a nice feeling to be driving my baby again! But it wasn't right, my CEL light would come on randomly when cruising in 5th gear on the interstate and go off, then come back on flashing then go away again. It seemed to only come on at lower RPMS. It felt like it had the power to roar but I wasn't sure since it had been so long since I drove it. At lower RPMS the light would come on, (driving from my house to the interstate ramp). Once I hit the interstate and put it in 5th for a little bit, bam, the light comes back on.

I've been reading a lot to what may be causing this and ready to start diagnosing what may be causing the issues but, before I start pouring more money into parts, I would like to see if it is something simple and easy before replacing everything. I was going to order new COPS by MSD, new iridium plugs, injectors and a new EGR valve for the heck of it. If there is something I might be overlooking before doing this, I would greatly appreciate any input.

Let me know if you need any more information on my car such as what work has been done, how it runs, etc.

P.S. there is an exhaust leak on the passenger side manifold due to an improperly installed gasket. Trying to put the exhaust back in by myself was a b*tch, I didn't notice the misguided gasket until starting it up and hearing it run for the first time in ages. I jacked up the car and saw that the gasket was only hooked through one of the holes. This is something I'll be fixing as soon as I'm home again. I don't think this would cause the misfire on the front two cylinders though.

Thank you in advance,

Alex

·
Registered
813 Posts
IMO, don't go shot-gunning a bunch of parts for something that is probably real simple.....

Also, don't waste your money on MSD coils, they are no better (possibly worse) than the Ford ones. By the same logic, unless you have plans to greatly increase the power or there is indeed an injector fault, there is no need to buy new injectors. Its also unlikely the EGR valve is a culprit, and could be taken off and cleaned if you think it could be stuck open.

Even if it was, the DPFE might pick that up and have the PCM set a code for it.

My suggestion is to just do an inspection of everything. You replaced the intake, so you pulled all the coils off as well as the boots. Sometimes the boots themselves can cause a misfire; check to see that they aren't all dry-rotted and that they are not cracked around the area that seats to the plugs. Make sure connectors are firmly seated, etc.

Speaking of plugs, the Motorcraft ones are fine at stock to mild performance levels. Iridiums are a waste of money IMO.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Since you had a coolant leak, you most likely have coolant in the #1&5 spark plug holes. Could just pull the coils and blow out the coolant, clean the boots off and give it a try. I've found that once the coils have been wet awhile, replacing the coil and plug the best fix.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replies so far guys. If I am to replace the coils, what would be a better solution for performance modifications in the near future? I've read a lot on different brands but haven't really spoken to anyone one about what would be a better choice.

Here are the options I've come across.
MSD Blaster's: MSD Ignition 82428, MSD Blaster Coils for Ford Modular Engines | MSD Ignition
Accel Super's: Accel 140032-8, Accel Super Coil Ignition Coils for 1997-Up Ford V6/V8 | Accel
Motorcraft: http://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-DG508-Ignition-Coil/dp/B000BYB7H0

I'll go with StalkerStangs's suggestion for the plugs, read some more about the Motorcraft plugs. I really like what I've read from various websites, ordered some today and hopefully a package pirate doesn't scoop them up before I get home.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Thank you for the replies so far guys. If I am to replace the coils, what would be a better solution for performance modifications in the near future? I've read a lot on different brands but haven't really spoken to anyone one about what would be a better choice.
Don't make it any harder than you're doing. Just gets some stock coils from Rock Auto and call it day. They'll handle more than the motor can handle.

ks

·
Registered
813 Posts
Ford coils, best ones.

You could even go to a wrecking yard and see if there is a newer Crown Vic that has them. They would probably have the most updated versions and probably still work ok. Just make sure the connector is the same as yours.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help everyone. I'm really anxious to get home and start working on the problems. I'll keep you all updated. Any other suggestions or pointers would be appreciated!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: Finally arrived back home and was able to install my new COPS and spark plugs. After installing, I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best! Good news, everything work excellent now! No more CEL, no more misfire, no more hesitation when accelerating! It's like a whole new car. Fixed another issue I was having even before I had the problems which was extreme loss of power in 5th gear. Everything is working great and I hope that this proves valuable for someone else in the future.

Notes: I did not see any fluid in the plug well or rotted boots on the COPS The plugs were in alright shape too. I was a little disappointed and thought there was something else causing the issues but, I continued on with the replacement of the parts. I used Motorcraft brand COPS and plugs with a heavy dose of die-electric grease before installing. Turned out that is what she needed!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts