Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm giving serious consideration to one of these kits for my mostly street weekend driver notch. Mild build so far: GT-40 heads, Exploder intake, 24lb inj., yada, yada. Looking to make 450-550 rwhp. I'd like to retain the A/C and front sway bar too. What's your experiences and impressions with their kits?

·
Registered
599 Posts
The CX racing kits look nice. I went with the On3 kit and have no complaints with it. Either way you’ll be happy I have a very similar engine combo and you’ll probably be looking towards the 450whp mark. Still lots of fun on the street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see they offer an upgraded 70mm ball bearing unit with a .81 A/R. I’m kinda new to the turbo game, is this a good setup for my goals? I will add more fuel system as necessary.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
It's all in the tune and install. It will run as intended if it has everything it needs. The Headers are great and have held up going on 3 years. Same with the Turbos, so no issues with fitment, parts or durability. I haven't needed to replace a single part in that kit to date..

Having twins means you need double everything.. Plus you need to tune and maintain it. There was a huge learning curve that took me aver a year to work out. Everything is tight in there so burning Plug Wires and loose Header Gaskets are to be dealt with, and you won't get it right the 1st time.. The Downtubes and Coldside Pipe to the Intake need to be removed before you can do anything. Need to change a Header Gasket? The Turbo comes off too and all that work is a PITA that takes time when all you wanna do is put your foot in it. It can be discouraging. You also need to relocate all the interior wiring to deal with the heat. Are you prepared for all of that?? BTW, it isn't cheap. What are you going to tune it with? Are you going to tune it yourself?

What about your Drivetrain? Got a Stick? You will fry that Clutch with a quickness. You'll need a Twin Disc and that's a whole other topic.. What about your Fuel System? The stock lines won't support what this kit can put out. Did I mention this stuff ain't cheap?

Get a Single and creep up on your tune safely. You won't have half the headaches or maintenance issues you get with a Twin.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's all in the tune and install. It will run as intended if it has everything it needs. The Headers are great and have held up going on 3 years. Same with the Turbos, so no issues with fitment, parts or durability. I haven't needed to replace a single part in that kit to date..

Having twins means you need double everything.. Plus you need to tune and maintain it. There was a huge learning curve that took me aver a year to work out. Everything is tight in there so burning Plug Wires and loose Header Gaskets are to be dealt with, and you won't get it right the 1st time.. The Downtubes and Coldside Pipe to the Intake need to be removed before you can do anything. Need to change a Header Gasket? The Turbo comes off too and all that work is a PITA that takes time when all you wanna do is put your foot in it. It can be discouraging. You also need to relocate all the interior wiring to deal with the heat. Are you prepared for all of that?? BTW, it isn't cheap. What are you going to tune it with? Are you going to tune it yourself?

What about your Drivetrain? Got a Stick? You will fry that Clutch with a quickness. You'll need a Twin Disc and that's a whole other topic.. What about your Fuel System? The stock lines won't support what this kit can put out. Did I mention this stuff ain't cheap?

Get a Single and creep up on your tune safely. You won't have half the headaches or maintenance issues you get with a Twin.
Thanks for all the info. Yea twins look great, but there is alot of issues that didnt cross my mind. Glad you replied with great info. Looks like Ill go single for now! Thanks

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
No problemo. I'd recommend CXRACING single with the Dual 8psi Gates. You won't get any boost creep with them, and 8psi is safe for a stock block. The ad says no cut either, so install should be a breeze.. Their Headers are Stainless and not Mild Steel, so they won't rot out. It will be a lot of fun and you will make 500hp easy..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts