Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a company that builds spark plug sockets/wrenches for hard to reach plugs?? I have seen home made ones, but wondering if there are any professionally made?

Something like a shorty 5/8" long socket cut down with a handle welded on the side... Yes, gt40P headers...A regular socket is too long, and an open end will not fit....

·
Registered
470 Posts
I don’t, but…

Try getting a spark plug socket that has a hex on the end that can accept a wrench. Cut it about an inch shorter from the open end. Drill the 3/8 drive end out large enough so that the insulator can fit through it. Put the socket over a plug in the head and slide it way down. Put a wrench on the socket and turn it.

Will that work?

·
Registered
475 Posts
I don’t, but…

Try getting a spark plug socket that has a hex on the end that can accept a wrench. Cut it about an inch shorter from the open end. Drill the 3/8 drive end out large enough so that the insulator can fit through it. Put the socket over a plug in the head and slide it way down. Put a wrench on the socket and turn it.

Will that work?
Ive actually done that before, essentially made a hollowed out socket and I welded a 3/8" steel bar to the side of it.

for the OP, I just bought a socket that I really liked online. I need to go look at the company again but its a ball joint type socket that can bend darn near 90 degrees at the joint and its also magnetic, it has made changing plugs in my car a breeze, though it wouldnt work for you Im pretty sure I saw online they had other cool type sockets that might work, let me check and get back on the brand.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don’t, but…

Will that work?
Thats exactly what I was going to do if I cannot find something premade.. I already have the socket sitting on top of my tool box Thanks

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive actually done that before, essentially made a hollowed out socket and I welded a 3/8" steel bar to the side of it.

for the OP, I just bought a socket that I really liked online. I need to go look at the company again but its a ball joint type socket that can bend darn near 90 degrees at the joint and its also magnetic, it has made changing plugs in my car a breeze, though it wouldnt work for you Im pretty sure I saw online they had other cool type sockets that might work, let me check and get back on the brand.
PLease let me know... thanks ....

·
Registered
625 Posts
not sure how it would work for you but I have a stubby spark plug socket that I believe is made for LS motors. I've used it on a bunch of different motors though & love it. Trick Flow makes it & it's not a ridiculous amount

if something like that wouldn't work I can't say I know of any place that makes custom ones. usually it's just easier to try fabbing something up

Reactions: Bentley and pkstang

·
Registered
'90 Windveil Blue LX (Dart Turbo T56)
8,312 Posts
mac has a nice spark plug socket that uses a 5/8 wrench vs 3/4". it's not the shortest (roughly 2-11/16" overall), although has helped in few cases cause of the smaller wrench size, and because it has a knurled grip.

the shortest one with a 3/4" wrench is this craftsman 43324, which is 2-3/8" although mine is old so not sure if it's still the same length.

others with the 3/4" wrench are typically 2-1/2" long.

i found the above mac on ebay for cheap money, although think that the trick flow one shown above is on the next purchase list with the winter/spring projects.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I've gone through a few different variations of cut down sockets and even slotted a few. I think I finally settled on 3/4" craftsman sparkplug socket with the rubber boot removed. I place the socket over the plug separately, then use a combination box end wrench to loosen. Once loose, I've used a small piece of rubber hose over the plug to unscrew the rest of the way by hand. Seems complicated, but it really isn't after you do it a few times. This is all on an SN95 with MAC non GT40P specific longtubes.

·
Registered
625 Posts
mac has a nice spark plug socket that uses a 5/8 wrench vs 3/4". it's not the shortest (roughly 2-11/16" overall), although has helped in few cases cause of the smaller wrench size, and because it has a knurled grip.

i found the above mac on ebay for cheap money, although think that the trick flow one shown above is on the next purchase list with the winter/spring projects.
I like that mac one, getting a 5/8 wrench in some spots is def easier than a 3/4. i'm gonna have to pick one up. I didn't notice if length was listed on trick flow site for their plug socket but it's very short at only 1 1/4" and uses a 3/4" wrench. I've gotten alot more use out of it over the years than i thought i would have

Reactions: pkstang

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like that mac one, getting a 5/8 wrench in some spots is def easier than a 3/4. i'm gonna have to pick one up. I didn't notice if length was listed on trick flow site for their plug socket but it's very short at only 1 1/4" and uses a 3/4" wrench. I've gotten alot more use out of it over the years than i thought i would have
The length of the socket seems to be the killer here... I am going to order the TF one... I have some already like the Mac and its too long, I will double check the lengths today.. thanks .

·
Registered
'90 Windveil Blue LX (Dart Turbo T56)
8,312 Posts
have you guys tried the short plugs from accel as their prices have dropped from back in the day when they were like $12 each...

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The length of the socket seems to be the killer here... I am going to order the TF one... I have some already like the Mac and its too long, I will double check the lengths today.. thanks .
I checked the socket I have and it measured 2 1/2"... I think that TF socket just might be the ticket for my gt40P heads with shorty headers...

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I received the TF socket today and I "think" it will do the job.. It is exactly what I was looking for.. I will add to this post after I put some plugs and headers on the engine and do a follow up. Its not installed yet
Thanks for the lead to this tool.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts