Ford Mustang Forums banner
141 - 160 of 1555 Posts

· Registered
676 Posts
axle length

Hi,
Just some fYI stuff on axle lengths - please anyone correct me if they know otherwise:
94-98 axles are .9375" longer on each side than oe 93 axles.
99-04 axles are 1.625" longer on each side than oe 93 axles.

This information is from a car builder that I do business with who laid out the axles.

· Registered
1,132 Posts
STREETFIGHTER50, I think you misunderstood me. In my post I was ONLY refering to the centerbore that we all will need on these wheels.

As far as width goes, 8.5" is the ONLY option. Really the only option we do have is the offset and the two sizes that have been thrown out are +26mm & +29.5mm.

Alex, how we gonna decide which offset to go with? FYI the +29.5mm will stick out .14" further than the +26mm.
huh? Wouldn't a 29.5mm BS put the wheel further inside the fender well vs. a 26mm BS wheel? Or am I crazy?

regardless I'm still in. I have a full MM car and I need to tuck my front wheels back under my car after widening the track width with K-member/control arms/94-95 spindles. My 18x9 FR500 with 24mm BS are a little too wide unless I were to crank in a bunch of negative camber.

· Registered
165 Posts
I'm in.

I have a Baer brake set up on my cobra. SN-95 spindles up front and close to stock rear axles. I can't remember at the moment the length but I know they are just a tad longer but not as long as SN-95 axles.

Ready to make deposit.

Thanks!

· Registered
265 Posts
Jeffo,

The difference in Axle lengths seemed a bit off to me so I check my notes from when I upgraded my 93 Cobra.

The stock axles from a 93 GT are 29 3/16" long. The stock axles from my 93 Cobra are 29 31/32" long & stock axles from a 94 GT donor car were also 29 31/32" long. My Moser 31 spline axles for my 93 Cobra are 29 31/32" long (per the box). The difference between the 87-93 & 94/95 axles are 25/32" (0.78125" difference). I'm not sure how your guy measured the axles but even so the differences should be the same.

I don't have any lengths on the newer axles so I can't contibute there. Maybe some of the axle MFGRs like Stange or Currie would have this data posted on their websites.

· Registered
291 Posts
huh? Wouldn't a 29.5mm BS put the wheel further inside the fender well vs. a 26mm BS wheel? Or am I crazy?

regardless I'm still in. I have a full MM car and I need to tuck my front wheels back under my car after widening the track width with K-member/control arms/94-95 spindles. My 18x9 FR500 with 24mm BS are a little too wide unless I were to crank in a bunch of negative camber.

Sort of right. The number listed is not the backspacing though, it is the offset from the center of the wheel width. Positive number of offset is setting the mounting flange toward the front lip (outside) of the wheel and negative numbers is placing it toward the back lip (inside) of the wheel. +29.5mm offset puts the backspacing at something like 6" (not doing the calculations) where the 26mm is ~5.74" BS.

· Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 · (Edited)
Preferred Offset List
#1 Alexandros 29.5mm
#2 yellow&blcak95gt
#3 CobraSteve 29.5mm
#4 Fastfox400 26mm
#5 fromme 26mm
#6 scsvt 26mm
#7 STREETFIGHTER50
#8 JimJr 26mm
#9 jkcobra98 26mm
#10 blk50cobra
#11 robh
#12 mlanoux 29.5mm
#13 runin1320 26mm
#14 umachnme
#15 88gtconvert
#16 MJS
#17 93kingcobra
#18 aaronlstiles
#19 awilson 29.5mm
#20 oldtimer
#21 yellowcar2
#23 jw33 26mm
#24 93svtcobra
#25 ArtZarateJr.
#26 knuckles4696
#27 KC/Cobra
#28 Glasnost 26mm
#29 MJS 29.5mm
This is updated. Everyone else needs to chime in on offset. Remember 17 x8.5, 26mm or 29.5mm offset.

· Registered
619 Posts
Whatever back spacing this works out to be (FOX stock rear width and SN95 spindles on Fox A-Arms) is what I want...

Matt

· Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 · (Edited)
As far as deposits, I would require 25% down. If the product was not made it would be refunded. Paypal is fine. We need to stay with one finish, I can try for two, but the factory frowns on such small quantities and upcharges.

Hope this helps.
OUR MAN JEFFO ROCKS!!!!

I PM'D him for an address to paypal it to. Again this is my thread and he is getting pissed off at my impatience. Again, serious buyers, if you are in, post. Everyone on the list already, stand by for further information. Once he gets back to me we need to all report back here so I can start a deposit list also for everyone. We need to make sure eveyone gets taken care of.
Alex

· Registered
936 Posts
I'm not really up on figuring offsets, but it seems the backspace determines what the offset is. I have a set of the four lug '93 Cobra replicas, and the backspace is exactly 5-13/16", and I have determined that a 6" backspace will work best on the front of my 2300K (SN-95) equipped '93 Cobra. So I'm down for a set with the 6" backspace, which I suppose is the 29.5mm offset.

-Mike S.

New revision with Glasnost added:
------------------------------------------------

Preferred Offset List
#1 Alexandros 29.5mm
#2 yellow&blcak95gt
#3 CobraSteve 29.5mm
#4 Fastfox400 26mm
#5 fromme 26mm
#6 scsvt 26mm
#7 STREETFIGHTER50
#8 JimJr 26mm
#9 jkcobra98 26mm
#10 blk50cobra
#11 robh
#12 mlanoux 29.5mm
#13 runin1320 26mm
#14 umachnme
#15 88gtconvert
#16 MJS 29.5mm
#17 93kingcobra
#18 aaronlstiles
#19 awilson 29.5mm
#20 oldtimer
#21 yellowcar2
#23 jw33 26mm
#24 93svtcobra
#25 ArtZarateJr.
#26 knuckles4696
#27 KC/Cobra
#28 Glasnost 26mm

This is updated. Everyone else needs to chime in on offset. Remember 17 x8.5, 26mm or 29.5mm offset.

· Registered
48 Posts
OUR MAN JEFFO ROCKS!!!!

I PM'D him for an address to paypal it to. Again this is my thread and he is getting pissed off at my impatience. Again, serious buyers, if you are in, post. Everyone on the list already, stand by for further information. Once he gets back to me we need to all report back here so I can start a deposit list also for everyone. We need to make sure eveyone gets taken care of.
Alex
As I stated in my previous quote, I can only pay with a credit card, not paypal. Money is tight, but I don't want to miss out on these wheels though. So if a C.C. isn't going to work, take me off the list. plz let me know.

Thanks, Kurt

· Registered
377 Posts
As I stated in my previous quote, I can only pay with a credit card, not paypal. Money is tight, but I don't want to miss out on these wheels though. So if a C.C. isn't going to work, take me off the list. plz let me know.

Thanks, Kurt

Last time I checked the reason paypal was made was so individuals (not buisnesses) could pay and accept payments with a credit card. Please explain how you can pay with a c.c. but not paypal?

· Registered
48 Posts
Last time I checked the reason paypal was made was so individuals (not buisnesses) could pay and accept payments with a credit card. Please explain how you can pay with a c.c. but not paypal?
I have never used paypal before. I assumed using paypal came out of your checking account, not a c.c. Plz correct me if that is wrong. If you are implying that I am scamming or something, I said take me off the list if it's a problem. If you weren't, then my bad.

· Registered
936 Posts
Paypal is very flexible and convenient, it can be set up to pull money either from a checking account (with a CC backup) or directly from a CC. I use it to buy things online and have it set up to pull from my Mastercard, so it shows up on the CC statement like any other purchase. It's been awhile since I looked at what they have to offer, there may well be other options now. I recommend you go there and set yourself up, it costs nothing for you to send a payment, it only costs the seller to recieve it, like when they accept a CC payment; so they consider it a cost of doing business.

-MJS

· Registered
936 Posts
For the record....I'll take either offset. I'll just be happy to get a set of 5-lug '93 cobra rims, which before now, only two sets existed. (Silver :) )
I'm guessing you're an original owner, because not many know about those. For the record, these were factory '93 Cobra wheel prototypes drilled by Ford for the five lug pattern, and they were supposed to be what came on the '93 Cobra R. But as I recall, they didn't make the cut because they wouldn't clear the PBR calipers up front, so they used the '94 tri-bars - a wheel for a car that wasn't introduced yet. And they were exactly like the four lug stockers, so they were 7.5 inches wide and had the mile-deep backspace so they would have been in too far anyway. Because of that, if you found a set today they wouldn't be of much use on SN95 brakes, but these new ones... Different story.

-MJS

· Registered
14,537 Posts
Actually, the prototypes would have worked just fine - we could have used a spacer. :)

141 - 160 of 1555 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.