Ford Mustang Forums banner
1541 - 1555 of 1555 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Sorry to bump up an old thread, but was curious what you guys thought about fitment. I'm going to be swapping to an IRSsetup on my 1993 Cobra and would love to fit a set of these on the car to keep the same look but have it work with the IRS. Is this even a remote possibility? Any chance of having them made with more offset or anything? I'm hearing you want around a 45 offset to keep everything under the fenders?

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sorry to bump up an old thread, but was curious what you guys thought about fitment. I'm going to be swapping to an IRSsetup on my 1993 Cobra and would love to fit a set of these on the car to keep the same look but have it work with the IRS. Is this even a remote possibility? Any chance of having them made with more offset or anything? I'm hearing you want around a 45 offset to keep everything under the fenders?

Any suggestions?
I am currently investigating the possibility of having these made with a deeper offset for this exact purpose. Unfortunately, even if this can't be made to happen, the available selection of OEM and aftermarket wheels in 17" diameter with 8" or more width and 45mm or greater offset is limited. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,545 ·
A 17 x 9 with 6? backspacing will stick out 1/2? with 0 negative camber.

Full negative camber will make the rim tuck on a fox car.

These wheels are 17 x 8.5? with a 6? backspacing. They will sit flush with the fender with 0 negative camber.

Having them widened inward you should be able to widen them according to your subframe mount.

Hard mounting the subframe to the frame rail will yield more wheel space than low clearance bolts.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Alexandros,
Thanks for the reply. I (and TealCobra) are looking for them to fit more like an OEM fit in the rear (slightly tucked under the lip) when an IRS or wider axle is installed. With the IRS being 1.5" wider per side, a deeper offset is required.

This is Kevin Hamel's car w/ 17"x8" S197 wheels installed (45mm offset).
1306 Cobra Irs Under Fox Body Mustang Live Axle Rear Setup - Photo 45839519 - Cobra IRS Under Fox-body Mustang - Declaration of Independence

This is the fit we are looking for. Only way to achieve this with the repro Cobra wheels is to get them produced with a deeper offset (either 45mm or ideally 50mm). Should still be enough clearance to the inside frame rail and mounting bolt.

·
Registered
465 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Alexandros,
Thanks for the reply. I (and TealCobra) are looking for them to fit more like an OEM fit in the rear (slightly tucked under the lip) when an IRS or wider axle is installed. With the IRS being 1.5" wider per side, a deeper offset is required.

This is Kevin Hamel's car w/ 17"x8" S197 wheels installed (45mm offset).
1306 Cobra Irs Under Fox Body Mustang Live Axle Rear Setup - Photo 45839519 - Cobra IRS Under Fox-body Mustang - Declaration of Independence

This is the fit we are looking for. Only way to achieve this with the repro Cobra wheels is to get them produced with a deeper offset (either 45mm or ideally 50mm). Should still be enough clearance to the inside frame rail and mounting bolt.
His new wheels are 8.5" with a 50mm offset if memory serves?

Definitely keep me in the loop though!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have not heard or found any being made with a 50mm offest yet. If there are some then those are likely exactly what we need.

As for the Maker's Garage wheels, those look like they will be quite cool, but I am worried that 18's will look a bit large on the car and I also worry that we'll be stuck with the same issue of not having a deep enough offset. Need to make our voices heard with those guys early! :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Many people on his FB page brought up the need to have a large offset possible for those with IRS, hopefully he has us in mind still.

My biggest concern is price, his will be forged pieces, so you're looking around 3k for the wheels alone I'm betting.

As for ReplayMan's car, I was mistaken, he went with a 18x8.5" wheel with a +45mm offset and it works and looks great....

http://forums.corral.net/forums/gen...x-independent-rear-suspension-project-14.html

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Did you guys ever make a group order?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Did you guys ever make a group order?
5 lug 93 cobra wheels were readily available for years. They are still listed on LMRs website but they show out of stock. I dont know if you can buy them any more. I rocked real 93 cobra wheels on my 91coupe for years. I love those wheels

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Cool I’m in the process of rebuilding my sn95 PFG cobra TT it’s and thought how cool it’d be to get a set to rock.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,555 ·
I haven’t made an order in some years. My distributor worked out a deal with LMR to be the go to person and I lost the business to them.

So everyone knows, these wheels were $550 shipped. If you are looking at someone other than wheel replicas, they use the same factories. And pay the same price.

Don’t get overcharged by other guys who make them now in a different style and size. They pay the same amount. And must have a 500% up charge from what I have seen. It’s usually $10,000 for 20-25 sets from China.

Wheel replicas in Katy Texas. They are the source that I used to make the 5 lug cobra wheels years ago in 17 x 8.5”. Call them if you can’t find them online. They are the makers and distributors, it was me and Jeff Oldham who started making them almost 15 years ago on my suggestion and they took off.

1541 - 1555 of 1555 Posts