Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, while taking off my bbk offroad h-pipe and swapping in my catted pipe i had a good idea... I was thinking about having mufflers welded in before the H in the pipe on the manifold side (front half of pipe) and then cutting the pipe right after the hangers and turning the exhaust down.... Any comments or thoughts are welcome.... By the way, what type of mufflers do you think i should use... I would rather have a deep sound than just a really loud sound.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Two problems:
#1: Not enough room to put the mufflers there, unless you went with some really small mufflers i.e. glass packs.
#2: The purpose of the "H" is to equal out the back pressure in each side of the exhaust. So when one side has low pressure, and the other has high, it will equal out. This is normally caused inside the muffler.
In addition, if you are wanting to have the exhaust dump out before the axle, get a set of dumps or have mufflers welded in place and the pipes cut off. People been doing it for years.

Also, unless you are doing it for reasons of clearance-slicks or a panhard rod, you'll loose about 20 percent of torque.

May be wrong about the torque thing, wanted to get them myself, was talked out of it by Dan from Pacifica...

·
Registered
328 Posts
MAC

1 - 3 of 3 Posts