Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good news! Just got word that all DOT's in CT will be done with auto emission testing. You would then have to go to your local auto shops with emission equipment to get the test done. Hope everyone is as happy as me.:joy:

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
OK, I'm a skeptical guy, so I have to question things that sound to good to be true. Where did you hear this news, Stangboy? (BTW, I've been out of town for almost two weeks, so it's entirely possible I just missed the news while I was gone).

Don't get me wrong, I kinda hope it is true, because I think the Mustang will be tough to get through emissions without some "help" from a friendly shop. :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My buddies father is Deputy Commissioner for DOT in CT. I also have a buddy that works at the New Britian DOT and said he has been told the same thing. I didn't believe it at first either but its true.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
That's cool and everything, but did you hear what they are going to replace it with? Try retinal scanners for the tech doing the work, and a camera trained on the car so no one can **** with it whilst the test is going on. I also heard that for young cars (under four years old) there will be no "emssions" test. Just a port scan of the OBD 2 computer. I heard from a mechanic friend that it will be very hard to screw with the test results. I don't think you'll be able to slip the guy a twenty to look the other way anymore.

·
Registered
540 Posts
This is what I've heard:

1) Cars that are 4 years old and younger will be exempt from any form of testing until the 4 year period has expired. You will get a sticker and be notified when you need to begin the tests.

2) Cars that are 1996 and newer (excluding the 4 year exemption) will be tested via the OBDII.

3) Before starting the new program, the state will defer tests beginning July 1 on all vehicles for approximately six to eight months beginning. The announcement of the new program comes with the state's decision to negotiate solely with Agbar Technologies Inc., of Chicago, Illinois, to administer the contract for the inspection program. Agbar was among four providers that responded to the state's request for proposals to run the new system. The contract with the current administrator, Envirotest Systems Corp., expires June 30.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yeah they've been talking about this for the past year. I'm glad to see it's finally going to happen. What do you say we open our own shop ..... "CT Mustang Emissions" ;)

:lol:

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
I think the new program sucks. At least with the old program you KNEW that the testing equipment was maintained. Now, you get some inbred moron putting your car on a dyno and trying to figure out where to put the probe. Oh yea, got a 96 or newer? This moron also gets to connect his abused and half working scanner to your car. Ohhh. Sounds good to me! My @ss, it does.

For more info see:
http://dmvct.org/Vehicle_Services/Emissions/EMIPAGE.HTM

Plus, what if you have a question like "what do you mean by "25 years" old for a car". WHEN is my '77 Cutlass going to be free from emissions? This year, next, the year after that?

Plus, do you like to wait FOREVER for that inbred moron to test your car? At least with the dedicated inspection stations, you didn't have to wait 30 mins for moron to see that you even exist.

On a side note, when is last day before EVERYONE in CT must put on the new plates? And, where did you get a front plate holder for your stang? Will a generic one from AutoZone/PepBoys work?

P.S. If you see my car pics, you'll see why I care about CT emissions and plates. :)

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
stangPlus2Birds said:
On a side note, when is last day before EVERYONE in CT must put on the new plates? And, where did you get a front plate holder for your stang? Will a generic one from AutoZone/PepBoys work?

P.S. If you see my car pics, you'll see why I care about CT emissions and plates. :)
Sharp looking car, Joe. Very nicely done.

As for the plates, the new plates should arrive whenever you renew your registration. I don't know if there's any sort of deadline or not, but obviously, since everyone's registration expires at a different time, it's going to take a couple of years for the state to swap out all the plates.

I haven't had a front plate on my Mustang for about 7 years. When I first got it (used) the dealer gave me a front plate mount, I don't know if it was a Ford piece, if it had come with the car when new, or where exactly it had come from. I put it on the car, but in order for it to work right I would have had to drill two holes into the bumper - not a chance that was gonna happen! So, as it was, without the top of the mount supported, it was free to flap in the wind. I didn't realize it did so until I was following a fellow Mustanger and we got to his place and he said, "Did you know your front license plate flaps up and down all the time?" :) I removed it and haven't had it on the car since then, and nobody has ever said a word about it (and trust me, I've been pulled over a number of times in CT).

Pat

Edit - Good DMV link, Joe. That's the first thing I've seen that fully describes what the new program is going to be all about. I had tried searching online for "CT emissions" but hadn't come up with anything useful.

·
Registered
44 Posts
About the front license plate, I have never had one on my car and also have been pulled over and I have new CT plates. As far as emissions, am I hearing some sort of a delay in when you'll have to go get tested? I'm due May '03 and I'm really not looking forward to having to put the stock h-pipe back on again. Are these independent mechanics that are checking your car or some sort of state-approved guy?

·
Registered
18 Posts
The OBD-II scans I am either going to love or absolutely hate. I dont know if they fail you for modified PCM's. Also I am probably going to have to put the useless EGR system back in. My misfire detection is turned off because of the bigger cam. The new system will probably fail me for having these things turned off in my PCM.

Funny thing is I passed the old system with flying colors when I went a few weeks ago. This sucks that I pass the old system fine and technically comply with my emission readings. Now they change the system and screw me over.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
I took my stang in last summer for emissions. I forgot to hook the EGR system back up. :-O

So, I take the stang into the Berlin test center and in the middle of the test I remember about the EGR. Opps! The stang *just passed*. :D But, it did pass. The stang even passed the at speed test (where the EGR really does it stuff). However, it was too close for my comfort. Next time, I'll definitely remember to hook the EGR back up, clear the codes, do a few drives (ignition on and off) and allow 1 week for the computer to resync it's (primitive) table to the engine with the EGR.

After my long highway drives back and forth between Mass and CT, you could feel the heat from the intake/EGR as soon as you opened the hood! And do not even think about touching the intake! Now, it's just like a regular warm engine. The intake is also not warm but not searing hot.

Cobragirl96: *MY limited understanding* is as follows:
o The test must be done by a *state certified* person. That person can be anyone - a gas pump jockey, the sit on his rear owner, a mechanic, etc.

o A garage must "give up" one of it's bays for the dyno and equipment. This is where a problem occurs. Often, the shop will also do easy/quick repairs (that don't need a lift) in that bay. So, you go to the garage, and you have to wait and wait and wait and wait...

9T9BlueTA: I would *think* that the OBDII scan is going to test for only errors. As long as the scan comes up clean, then the car should pass that portion. Yea, GM has, IMHO, the BEST and most complex EFI system. You can read and see just about everything. So it would be VERY easy to see non-working systems. The last I heard, they were doing just error checks, not "running within spec" checks. I'm *pretty sure* that they still do the basic *at idle* emissions test for 96+ cars.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yeah good riddance to the emissions test.I'm exempt for the next four years. Woo Hoo!! What? Did somebody say off road pipe? Hmmmm......
I'm actually shocked the state is giving up that revenue. Oh wait, don't we already get raped with the second highest state gasoline taxes behind Hawaii? Yeah that's right...

Let's just hope the new procedure doesn't cost $100 annually when it goes into effect. You know we'll all be getting screwed somehow on that one....

Now if we can just get rid of the super lame personal property tax that just rips everybody off we'd really be getting somewhere......
Friggin CT, what a joke......

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
9T9BlueTA said:
Funny thing is I passed the old system with flying colors when I went a few weeks ago. This sucks that I pass the old system fine and technically comply with my emission readings. Now they change the system and screw me over.
Jim, I think you should be OK. If you just got tested a few weeks ago, you got a 2 year sticker, right? So that means you're not due to be tested again until 2004, at which point your car is 5 years old and falls outside the 4 year window. At least, that's the way I'm understanding this new system.

Pat

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
9T9BlueTA:
Thanks for that great link!

Because of all the smog BS now, I think that I might put my '77 Cutlass up for sell. Anyone want a non smog check '77 Cutlass? I'll sell it for ONLY $175,000! Yup, $175K. You try to find a pre-78 Cutlass. '77 is also the last year of the "boat sized" Cutlass. :D

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
9T9BlueTA said:
Patrick you have it backwards lol. Cars 4 years and older dont get tested everything else does. Most cars on the road are 4 years or older due to leases and such, this eliminates alot of cars that need to be tested.
No, I think you're backwards, my friend. From the DMV site:
* On a permanent basis fewer cars will be tested - about 25-to-35 percent less. Under a legislation that exempts all vehicles four years-old or newer, these owners will not need the test until the vehicle is four or more years old.
I think the point is that new cars shouldn't be putting out much in the way of emissions, so there's no point in testing them.

However, I was wrong in my thinking. I thought I had read that cars 4 years old or newer got the OBD II scan, then after that they got the tailpipe sniffer test. I figured that would hook you up because you would never have to go through the OBD II scan (which you're worried about), you would just get the sniffer test (which you know you can pass) come 2004. However, I was mixing two different parts of the program. Again, from the DMV site:
* Testing process will be simpler for some people. For 1996 model year vehicles and newer ones, a testing process called On Board Diagnostics (OBD) will be used. The test is done through the vehicle's computer. For vehicles of other model years, the current ASM test will be done.
So even when 2004 rolls around you'll still have to do the OBD II scanner thing - bummer.

Pat

·
Registered
44 Posts
All I really want to know is if they are going to put a mirror under my car. Although I'm pretty sure the car wouldn't pass anyway the way it runs right now. Time to find some "nice" mechanics and become buddies.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Cobragirl96 said:
All I really want to know is if they are going to put a mirror under my car. Although I'm pretty sure the car wouldn't pass anyway the way it runs right now. Time to find some "nice" mechanics and become buddies.
Yes the will put a mirror under your car.

Tom

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.