Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anytime have info regarding troubleshooting cruise in 94/95 mustangs? Mine just quit working one day. I'm going to start with the basics like making sure all the pedal switched are working but i want sure if there is a specific troubleshooting procedure.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah, my horn works.... So the clock spring is probably ok

·
Registered
307 Posts
Check for a vacuum leak in the hose, does you heater work I.e can you switch between floor, vent and defrost? If not, a hose on the vacuum tree is broken.
is te cable attached to your a throttle body?
Check the brake and clutch switches.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check for a vacuum leak in the hose, does you heater work I.e can you switch between floor, vent and defrost? If not, a hose on the vacuum tree is broken.
is te cable attached to your a throttle body?
Check the brake and clutch switches.
Heat works fine, everything on the vacuum tree is good. I don't think i have any vacuum leaks. I'll get under the dash and check continuity on the switches and check the vacuum switch under the dash too

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone have any recommendations or even a wiring diagram regarding cruise for troubleshooting?

·
11,167 Posts
Does anyone have any recommendations or even a wiring diagram regarding cruise for troubleshooting?
I seem to remember a lot of resources in the "info lookup thread" at the top of this forum.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I seem to remember a lot of resources in the "info lookup thread" at the top of this forum.
VeryUseful.com doesnt have anything regarding cruise diagrams and the info look up thread you are speaking of also does not have anything specific to cruise. I went through both of those as well as used the search feature before I posted this question. There is very little cruise troubleshooting info on the site

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have wiring diagrams for the whole car, but something like the Cruise Control is likely split across several pages. I also have a digital copy of the service manual. I’ll check what it has for trouble shooting.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have wiring diagrams for the whole car, but someht8ng l8ke t(e Cruise Control is likely split across several pages. I also have a digital copy of the service manual. I’ll check what it has for trouble shooting.
im most likely going to just buy a service manual myself that way I dont have to rely on a website to try and find this info. Let me know what you find though cause it will be a while before it comes in I am sure.

·
Premium Member
5,906 Posts
I hope this helps.

1994 and early 1995 Mustangs have cruise control buttons that have (4) female leads. Late 1995 to 2004 the female leads changed from 4 to 2. I have no idea if they are interchangeable.

Good luck
Michael Plummer

Reactions: Dwain

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Michael. My car is an early 95, built in 94. Ill try to use that to work through the wiring and verify I am getting good signals past the clock spring. I installed a hydraulic clutch system from modern driveline and one of the switches got moved as part of the install. Im going to start there first. Havent had time to check it yet but im expecting to get under the dash this weekend.

·
Premium Member
5,906 Posts
Here is a photo of the cruise control switch (4 female leads) you want for 1994 Mustangs if you decide to replace it. The two different switches may be interchangeable but I haven't had a chance to confirm that.

And a closeup of the 4 female leads

Here is a photo of the 2 female leads for late 1995 to 2004 Mustangs.

I hope this helps
Michael Plummer

·
Premium Member
5,906 Posts
Here's the whole wiring layout of the cruise control circuit.

Most of the problems I've seen have come from the speed control amplifier.

Good luck
Michael Plummer

·
Registered
307 Posts
The switches are interchangeable, They just changed te way the grounds were routed. You have to replace the switch and wires together.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The switches are interchangeable, They just changed te way the grounds were routed. You have to replace the switch and wires together.
Interesting, I read on a different forum that the switches are not interchangeable and require a rewire for the later switches. I dont think my issue is the steering switches but ill know more after I start ohming things out.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
307 Posts
Interesting, I read on a different forum that the switches are not interchangeable and require a rewire for the later switches. I dont think my issue is the steering switches but ill know more after I start ohming things out.
I’ve swapped them out several times without issues. You just have to swap the switches and the attached wiring that connects them to the wheel.

·
Registered
24,576 Posts
the clutch sense switch is necessary

also if you put in LED brake lights, cruise will not work either

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the clutch sense switch is necessary

also if you put in LED brake lights, cruise will not work either
Didnt know about the led lights but I am still rocking filament bulbs at this point. I installed a modern driveline hydraulic conversion which moves the clutch switch and I am suspecting I need to adjust the switch. I havent gotten under the dash yet to look at it but I plan on it tomorrow. It was working before the hydraulic clutch install but I dont know if it stopped when i made the switch or before the install since I dont use it very often.

·
Registered
24,576 Posts
Switch needs to be closed for cruise to work

you can unplug it, jump it with a paperclip and check if cruise returns

1 - 20 of 20 Posts