Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my garage is a '66 coupe with a serious traction issue. I've read several articles all over the web about doing the Mopar style leaf relocation, and I realize that moving the wheelhouses inboard/fabricating new ones is necessary to get the full effect. The thing I'm having problems finding is whether or not the new front mount that comes with the Crites kit will cooperate with Caltrac monoleafs and traction bars.

I know that moving the leafs in 3" per side won't have a positive effect on handling, but it's a drag car. The biggest tires I could fit with custom rims and a non-stock width axle were 26x10.5 M/T ET streets, and they were close everywhere. Right now I have 255/60R15 BFG Radial T/A's, and theyre sitting at close to 27" diameter, per spec. With close to 500hp, a sticky clutch, and a heavy right foot, they don't stand a chance. Adding another 3" of room on the inboard side should give me room for a 26x12.00 M&H slick, which is 3.7" more tread width by the book. Hopefully they'll have a chance against the 700-800hp Ive got plans for.

Anyone done this mod?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Won't do any good without moving/notching the frame rails also. You can get a 275 under there. I go that way with a 28in tall slick or DR. Should do fine.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
HU?

There are many guys planting the rear bumper on the ground with Caltracs or the slideAlinks (what I run)....but to your point, here is what I did
Narrowed the rear 3/4 of an inch on each side, run a 15x8 with 3.5" of back spacing. I also run the 255/60 and it fits with exactly a HALF inch of clearance to the leaf springs. This clearance is also the clearance to the frame, so to agree with the last quote, doing anything with the leafs is useless without doing something with the frame rails, which are the limiting factor as well.
My car now puts down just over 500 at the tires and has over 5oo ft lbs from 3500 on up, Car is very capable of a 10 flat and the slideAlinks are VERY VERY tunable. Get some scales and dial that thing in! You easily can pul 1.3xxx 60 ft times with your set up and those tires!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured on notching the rear of the frame rails when moving the wheelwells inboard. I've got a 8" axle of unknown origin in the back right now, with 15x8" pro-stars with 5.5" b/s. The 255's fit with close to half an inch of clearance to the leafs, and barely clear the fender lip.

Taking the spec's for the 26x10.5 from M/T's website, then doing some searching on Summit, the 26x12.00 M&H slick looks to be the biggest thing fitting, assuming a full 3" more space on the inside.

My main concern is the Caltrac's compatibility with the Crites kit.

·
Registered
480 Posts
8 inch

Careful with the 8inch. They can only take about 400hp of track duty.

I got one good launch on my drag radials before I completly twisted an axle!

I figured on notching the rear of the frame rails when moving the wheelwells inboard. I've got a 8" axle of unknown origin in the back right now, with 15x8" pro-stars with 5.5" b/s. The 255's fit with close to half an inch of clearance to the leafs, and barely clear the fender lip.

Taking the spec's for the 26x10.5 from M/T's website, then doing some searching on Summit, the 26x12.00 M&H slick looks to be the biggest thing fitting, assuming a full 3" more space on the inside.

My main concern is the Caltrac's compatibility with the Crites kit.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
8 inch is on its way out. Ive got a braced 9" with 3.70 gears and a 35 spline spool sitting in my garage, waiting til I have time to swap it in.

But, that 8" with 4.11 Richmond gears, an Auburn posi, and stock 28 spline axles pulled a 1.6 60ft on DOT slicks in a 3200lb '66 coupe. And, it used a stock 6 cyl driveshaft with TINY u-joints. Guess they just built stuff better back then.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts