Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres my situation. I bought my '88gt a while ago and have recently pulled the motor out. It only had 42000 miles on it cuz the previous owner replaced it with a crate motor. I'am trying to plan a TT seup so I need to know if the information out there about the sefi 5.0 HO motors will apply to my crate motor as well. I know its not a performance crate engine cuz I new the owner. So can anyone tell me exactly what a crate motor is? Are the internals Oem or are they something newer? I have the part numbers from everything.

please help me out, thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
Do you have any idea where the crate motor could have came from. Is it a Ford replacement? Did he he get from a local shop?
Ask him who replaced it. Did the dealership replace or the local shop?
If it is a Ford crate then you are looking at a the same motor that would be in any 5.0 HO. However, if Im not mistaken (I am often), if it was replaced before '93, your motor would have forged pistons as opposed to the Hypereutectic pistons in the 93 and latter years. Which most people would argue makes for a stronger bottom end and more suitable for any form of forced induction (turbo, supercharger, nitrous).

However, if you are going with a serious setup you are going to want to go ahead drop in a quality bottom end. But Im sure there are more than a few people on here with forced induction on stock short blocks (the same as a ford crate).

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I'm going to venture and say that the two most important things you need to find out are what kind of pistons are in it, and what kind of block it is. A fairly mild TT setup can EASILY put a block in pieces, and unless it has forged pistons (not hypereutectic) I probably wouldnt go with a power adder.

At any rate, see if you can hunt down the internal part list and give www.turbomustangs.com a look :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts