Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I'm at at loss of what to do. My last engine was rebuilt with a Summit hyper kit -- with no intention of any type of power adder. As soon as I became a member of the 12 second club I bought a Vortech V1 SC Trim kit. After abusing that engine N/A for a little over a year (and I mean HARD miles) I added the Vortech and brought it up to 18 psi before valve train problems ended up getting me.

I have two spare 302 shortblocks. I took the block I wanted to use, and both crankshafts to the machine shop. My dad picked them up, and as soon as we looked at the cranks we knew they're not worthy of anything above a low RPM truck motor. On the best crank you can see small pits in some of the journals, and on the worst it still has some groves on the journals. A new crankshaft is out of the question, and although I'm crazy, I'm not crazy about using a .010 crank on a motor that'll see 10 to 12 psi on a regular basis and up around 18 psi when I feel like racing or playing a little.

I've heard about .001, .002 and .003 bearings. Both piston & mains will need work if I use either one of these cranks. I'm still on the edge on how I want to build the motor.

Idea #1: stock rods, forged pistons, Crower 15512 (simular to TFS1), Windsor Jr heads and GT-40 intake. Most of the parts are left overs from my last engine. The way I see it, with that cam I'll be shifting around 6,500 RPM's.

Idea #2: stock rods, hyper pistons, stock cam, windsor jr heads, GT-40 intake. This way the car will be VERY streetable, and my shift point will be low -- around 5,500 if I were to guess. I can pulley my supercharger to make as much power as I want without worring about vacuum problems and stuff from a high performance cam.

I've never had to do any machine work on any motor that my father and I have built... and that has been upwards of 50+. All have worked great, and no one has ever had a single complaint. This time I've been told, by the only mechanic I trust under my hood [Eric at BNO Performance in Edgewater, Florida] to take my block, the best of the two cranks and my rods to have them fitted for bearings.

Any suggestions would be great. And also, if it comes down to it, is anyone running a low RPM ~450hp supercharged motor with a .010/.010 crank?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Don't worry about the crank. These never break, its always the block breaking first, then it takes out the rest of the motor. .010 under should be ok. Your option 1 looks fine to me, but the rpm is a bit high for a GT-40 intake. They will rev high, but the power drops hard after 6000rpm. I had peak everything at 5800 rpm on my car. If I shifted anything after 5800, it would slow down. Make sure your lower is ported and opened up.

·
Registered
164 Posts
What are your issues with running a .010 under crank? We have run cranks turned .030 under in many of our high dollar race engines making 1200 or so horsepower with out any problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts