Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with these? I'm talking about the back of the crank. (shave a little off the crankshaft and press on a sleeve) Are they a waste of time? will they stand up?
Should i scrap this crankshaft or what? This was supposed to be a cheap rebuild 5.0 for a buddy.
Thanx guys!

·
Registered
129 Posts
You don't have to shave any off the crank. The sleeve is a press fit, and only needed when there is a groove in the crank where the seal rides. If you put one on ,and it is your first time, be very carefull. You have to tap it on evenly or it won't work right.
Mike

·
Registered
122 Posts
What makes you think that you need a repair sleeve or that the crank is scrap? Is it scored, grooved?

As stated before you don't need to shave the crank. The FelPro unit just taps on. I just installed one but have not fired the motor up yet. I dinged the crank in a couple of places trying to get the old rear main seal out and I had the repair sleeve laying around so I decided to put it on just to be safe. Getting it started was the hardest part. But I put a very light coating of motor oil on the inside of the sleeve and then tapped is in. It was a nice tight fit when it was fully seated. I'm not anticipating any problems.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This crank has some pretty deep grooves from where the old seal rode. I didn't want to bother with a repair sleeve if its not going to work. But I think I will try it. Thanx guys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts