Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the rest of the combo is as follows...I am running Canfield Stage 2 Heads, Anderson Hi-Rev roller Hyd Cam (N101) I think was the number. (recommended be Rick Anderson to solve our rev problem) Was using a Cam Motion Custom grind. Both fall in the 680 lift area. Had springs tested by Cory Roth at Fox Lake and they were ok for the cam we are using (Fox Lake also built the heads) It is almost like we are hitting a rev limiter or something. I run EPEC and we set the limiter up as high as 9000 rpms and it still hits that 7000 mark and falls on its nose. Anderson had us do some additional adjusting on the roller rockers and that did not help either???? Really lost on this thing.

·
Registered
600 Posts
It's not going there. . .period. You will have to go solid roller. The hyd roller lifters are not intended for it. You can't run spring pressure to do this. At 7000 rpm you need around 240 on the seat and 625 open on a solid roller. What you need to do is run solid roller lifters on that hyd. profile and set a light lash setting. Second if someone told you that a 680 lift roller would move enough air to a 408CID motor to go 9000 rpm you just met our maker...

CSTraub

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
crane roller lifters continued

If i go to a solid roller lifter, will I loose my streetability. This is a street strip application and I dont really want to sacrifice that. I have gone as fast as 10.80 at 125.8mph naturally aspirated with 1.40 60ft times and a AOD. I would just be happy to be able to twist it to 7500 rpm with out it nosing over.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yes and no. Pros are you can go higher rpm but I am not going to sit here and tell you to the Moon. It will make more power. Now the con's. More maintenance because you have got to keep the lash in constraints, noisy, oiling may be a problem due to the cam base circle and location of oil galley on lifter coming out of the bore, and last but not least springs. I would like to see about 180# on the seat and 450# open. Now why I stated above in the earlier post higher #'s is because the opening and close ramps are much more violent on a solid roller lobe then a hydraulic.
Futhermore your combo is designed for low to mid rpm and making power there for the street/strip. That is why you go displacement. Whoever told you to build this engine and it would make power upstairs is a disgrace to the industry and I apologize to you. If they don't work in the industry I'm glad

CStraub

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes it can be done

CStraub said:
It's not going there. . .period. You will have to go solid roller. The hyd roller lifters are not intended for it. You can't run spring pressure to do this. At 7000 rpm you need around 240 on the seat and 625 open on a solid roller. What you need to do is run solid roller lifters on that hyd. profile and set a light lash setting. Second if someone told you that a 680 lift roller would move enough air to a 408CID motor to go 9000 rpm you just met our maker...

CSTraub
What springs are you running? The dynograph below is of my old 306 with AFM Hi-Rev N-111 cam, stock lifters and AFM Hi-Rev springs. The AFM Hi-Rev system works, period.
http://www.the-arnolds.net/Cobra/hicomp306.htm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts