Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere in the archives about someone having problems with their stock pushrods being short with the 2031 cam.

Will I need to buy longer pushrods? I am going to be using pedestal 1.7 bolt down rollers, non-adjustable. I know Crane offers a larger size for the adjustable rockers.

Also, I am sure the cam will help me with power, but what about gas mileage and cruise? I plan on adding this to a stock lower 302, 6037 heads, GT40 lower intake with a Kenne Bell 1500.

Any suggestions or comments? My other option is staying with the stock cam and the 1.7 rollers. I don't want to put too much importance on the power this car makes, as I will be on the steet 98% of the time. I think I will run pretty strong without it, but, the heads already have upgraded springs and I will have everything torn apart.....I am sure a lot of you have been there. :)

Thanks,
Don

·
Registered
351 Posts
I can't remember the part number, but believe the ones I used are for adjustables, They're like .117 longer, (or something like that) and you may have to shim your rockers with the supplied shims.

I don't keep track of the gas mileage but, but I tend to cruise around 2000 RPM's. It's a very well mannered cam. I'm very happy with it, and I hear they work well with blowers. I think I would have gone with a little more aggresive cam, but when I got the 2031 I was running an auto trans. For a car that's 98% street I thinks it's a good choice.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I had to get the Crane pushrods that were 6.375" and then use the .030" AND the .060" shim under the rocker arm. Ideally, a 6.3" pushrod would have been fine, but it is conveniently an odd size, so you have to go back to Crane - go figure. The 2031 is ground on a slightly smaller base circle from what I understand. My heads were also slightly milled, but the 6.375" pushrod is a common addition with the 2031. It is either #36623 or 36625 - whichever one was about $90 from Summit.

I love the cam!! With 10.5:1 compression, it is an awesome street car that pulls hard and sounds wicked. My combo is in the link below!

·
Registered
745 Posts
does is speak the truth about small base circle ?? i thought i have to buy stock lenth push rod . and i don t understand why he have to use both shim too .

jrgoffin said:
I had to get the Crane pushrods that were 6.375" and then use the .030" AND the .060" shim under the rocker arm. Ideally, a 6.3" pushrod would have been fine, but it is conveniently an odd size, so you have to go back to Crane - go figure. The 2031 is ground on a slightly smaller base circle from what I understand. My heads were also slightly milled, but the 6.375" pushrod is a common addition with the 2031. It is either #36623 or 36625 - whichever one was about $90 from Summit.

I love the cam!! With 10.5:1 compression, it is an awesome street car that pulls hard and sounds wicked. My combo is in the link below!

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
A buddy of mine (where my heads came from, and the rockers that are on them) just used stock-length and they worked fine with the 2031.

·
Registered
745 Posts
L33T-Tech said:
A buddy of mine (where my heads came from, and the rockers that are on them) just used stock-length and they worked fine with the 2031.
is the head are gt40 ?? .. I m a bit confuesed . I think the best thing i could do is to buy 2 set of push rod and return back the one who will not fit , since it s not the push rod who is expensive .

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Yes, they are GT40's, its the engine in my sig.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hard to believe it has been 3 years since I posted that. :) I ended up sticking with the stock cam. Made close to 350 rwhp and over 400 rwtq with the KB and that setup, so I was happy.

·
Registered
745 Posts
ttbit said:
Hard to believe it has been 3 years since I posted that. :) I ended up sticking with the stock cam. Made close to 350 rwhp and over 400 rwtq with the KB and that setup, so I was happy.
ahah yea ! i know it s an old thread but i have the same question so .. it need to be answered !! :lol:

i use the search button very often .. moderator should be happy :king:

·
Registered
329 Posts
I used 6.7" pushrods with TW heads and a Crane 2031. The 6.7" pushrods are the same length used with other cams and TW heads. I got 22-24mpg highway and made 305rwhp.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts