Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1994 Mustang GT and I have some questions about it since this is my first Mustang.

It has headers, intake, strut tower brace, and new plugs and wires.

The clutch died last week and I lost all gears, so I took it to a tranny shop and had them put a new one in (nothing fancy to my knowledge). When the pedal is all the way up, it has about a half inch - an inch of play in it. Anytime the pedal is in or on the edge of this "play area" I hear a squeaking noise. Is this just a pedal adjustment thing or does it needs to go back to the tranny shop?

Also, sometimes the car won't start on the first try and sometimes when I start it dies or tries to die. It also falls on its face in the upper RPM's but still has time to pick up a little more umph before I shift to 2nd gear. Any ideas?

I realize I'm an n00b... thanks for your help though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The squeeking noise was the throwout bearing - I'm going to call the shop back and see what the deal is on that.

I'm going to wait for them to mess with the throwout bearing before I try to readjust the clutch pedal again.

On the engine problems (starting, and falling on its face) - I also noticed at some times it has a rough idle.

What information do you need to know to help diagnose and I'll be glad to post it up here.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I replaced my clutch recently and the throwout bearing made noise for about a month. When it started I figured that it would either fail or stop making noise, it finally stopped and I haven't had any problems in 5000 miles.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I strongly recommend an adjustable clutch cable and aluminum quadrant when installing a new clutch....you'll be able to adjust it correctly and even tweak the engagement point a bit to your liking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts