Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best readily available cleaner to use on the interior plastic (door panels, dash, etc) -it has imbedded dirt. I tried simple green on a section and it worked ok, but I dont know if this stuff is safe enough to go glopping it all over. Also, the "dope scope" or telescoping interior light (this is a fox car) "chirps" when it is locked into position and the car is moving. When I push on it the chirping stops. Not sure how to fix that but it sure is annoying. Thanks!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WHA?

·
Registered
44 Posts
LOL Sorry bro, I was just typing short hand I guess. I meant, why don't you just clean up the interior pieces the best you can...and then repaint them all? I assume that since it was a FOX Body the pieces would be pretty faded.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Simple Green and a toothbrush should take care of your dirt. It'll be tedious work, but worth it in the end. Then use some kind of protectant like Armor All or whatever you prefer.

As for the chirp, are you talking about the map light above the rear view mirror? And when you say "chirp" do you mean it squeaks or rattles? If so, I don't know for sure, but I have an idea. Try putting a little clear caulk either on the light itself or on the little clip that holds it in place. Let it dry several hours or overnight, then put it back into position and see if that stops the chirp. I have no idea if this will work or not, but if my son's car had this problem, this is what I would do first. (This assumes I've got your problem correct in my mind, of course.)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mustangmom said:
Then use some kind of protectant like Armor All or whatever you prefer.
i always thought armor all was actually bad for cars?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have heard that Armor All is not good, though I don't know why. Personally, I don't use the stuff, but suggested it because a lot of people DO like it. I use this stuff by 3M that also has a fragrance in it that freshens the car.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Can't beat some hot soapy water with some mild liquid detergent. I also like Simple Green but I dilute it a little bit when I'm using it on anything except my engine.

Carson

·
Registered
570 Posts
I think why people say Armor All, and other interior cleaner/protectant products are not good is because they contain silicone.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I simply used hot water with some dawn and voila, good as new. On the really tough stuff tho (rear panels where I toss the slicks into the car) I used Formula 409 then the soapy water.

After that, clearcoat everything with automotive paint clearcoat (got it at NAPA) and OMG, it looks better than ArmorAll and is easy to clean.

Here's some pics:

http://www.netsnapshot.com/pcw/b?KEY=6&ACCOUNT=943

·
Registered
194 Posts
I talked to the chemist at acra pac (where they make the armour all) and it actually formulated to dry out your vinyl and plastics of you do not keep using it. Formaldahyde is a key ingredient. STP son of a gun is the exact same stuff different bottle same vat.

·
Registered
351 Posts
squeaky map light

there is one screw and a spring (which is not visible) that hold your "dope scope" in place. remove the screw and slide the light down/forward. on the back you should see the spring which you can now bend down a bit to tighten the fit.
reassemble.

this worked for me so maybe it will help you.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Buff, I love the black carpet!! That looks really nice. Where'd you buy the carpet (front and rear)?

Wade

·
Registered
70 Posts
soundproofing

I likre that interior, changeing gray carpet to black makes it look like a new car.

Try soundproofing behind your plastic panels with spray in place foam insulation. My 85 Capri is quieter than my Lincoln, doors sound really solid too.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Thanks man. I got the carpet from ACC out of Summit, only thing is it only went to the rear back where the rear seat was. For the rest of it I got some automotive grade carpet from Carpet 1 for $7.99 a yard. Got 6 yards and had enough for my entire hatch area and some left over to do my bud's S10.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
buffhomer said:
Thanks man. I got the carpet from ACC out of Summit, only thing is it only went to the rear back where the rear seat was. For the rest of it I got some automotive grade carpet from Carpet 1 for $7.99 a yard. Got 6 yards and had enough for my entire hatch area and some left over to do my bud's S10.
Cool! I knew that the ACC stuff would do for the main carpet, and that stuff usually runs about $100 or so, so I've seen. I was wondering how you did the rear. So for about $150, you did the whole thing (plus your bud's S10 - lol!).

/me orders black carpet :king:

Wade

1 - 16 of 16 Posts