have it done in a way that I will really enjoy
driving the car. I already ordered the kit, and
a 10pt roll cage kit.........so with any luck it
will be up and running pretty soon.

-forrest

·
Registered
86 Posts
It all depends on what kind of wheel you want to run. I am almost done mini tubbing my 85 GT. I am going to be running weld draglites, 15x10 with 7.5" backspace. so I can go with a wider tire and not have it hanging out of the wheel well. I want it tucked up inside, rather than sticking out past the fender. I am also going to be moving the rear frame rails in a few inches for more clearance. Right now Im just going to be running the sportsman I series tires. They are about 13" wide mounted on a 10 inch rim. When the rim gets here, I can mount it up and shoot you some pics. Right now everything is removed up to the edge of the frame rails so you can get a good idea what you will be working with. My email is [email protected] , drop me a line and give me your email address. My plan is to go to the max with out the tire hanging past the wheel well or rubbing the lower control arms. I have always loved the pro street look. The draglite is the only 15x10 weld rim that comes with 7.5" backspacing. You could probably narrow the 8.8 a few inches before running into the LCA brackets, then you would have more choices for wheels. Anyway, we can chat more in emails, Mike

·
Registered
86 Posts
what fits

These are some pics of 15x10 draglites with 7.5" backspacing. The tire measures a hair under 13.5" wide sidewall to sidewall.

They clear the stock lower control arm by about 1.5" and they are about 2" away from the nearest part of the rear frame rail. The fender lip will need to be rolled a little just to make sure they dont rub if I hit a major bump.

I wasnt sure if the frame rails were going to interfere, but they didnt. When I go to aftermarket LCA's that will give me more than enough room.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike,

Great looking pics, I be starting soon.

--I got my kit from JR's performance, and I choose 315 because
that is the widest drag radial that I have found.

thanks again guys
-forrest

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I'm in the middle of mini-tubbing my 78 Futura right now. I'll be able to fit a 29x12 slick on a 10" wheel. I don't know if my frame rails are formed the same as a Mustang's. I'll probably have to cut into them a little after they pass the top of the rear housing (they turn and start to go towards the outside of the car). I'll have plenty of clearence with the tubular lowers I'll be running.

Does JR's Performane have a web site?

John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts