Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cost of rebuilding T5 vs. used TKO

A very close friend of mine is selling his used Tremec TKO with clutch, bellhousing, and all the parts necessary to make it work. He'll sell it to anyone else for $1000. I'm guessing he'd let me have it for $800-$900. The tranny/clutch has about 5K miles on it in his 38K mile '93 cobra (for sale FYI). He has powershifted it quite a bit, but it seems to still work like new. He has not run any sticky tires with it.

The other question is how much does it cost to do a complete rebuild of my stock T5? It sometimes grinds when shifting fast from 1st to 2nd. Mine has been powershifted maybe 2-3 times (not by me :D ) only. It has about 10-12 1.5 to 1.6 60 ft launches on slicks.

My car will not see anymore slick launches, but I will be taking it to the track on the 17" nitto dr's. If I could confidently powershift the TKO, I would. Right now I don't powershift because I know the T5 can't take it. Would the Tremec be worth it for me? Keep in mind I could sell my Pro-5.0 shifter to help off-site the cost of the tranny. I think my tranny is okay, but I would like to get it fixed eventually.

Later,
Kyle
'93 Cobra #1058

P.S. The reason he's selling his '93 cobra / TKO is because he's looking for a '58-'60 vette. :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Kyle,
I would buy the tremec.You will never break that tko with the combo you have. The t5 will break again someday after a rebuild.

I like my 3550 tremec.

Mike89lx,01 Cobra

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is $900 a good deal considering I really don't "need" the TKO at my power level?

Anyone else?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Kyle...$900 is a great deal for a TKO with everything including the clutch. I gave $1k for mine and it didn't have a clutch. I would go ahead and do the upgrade as it is a safe investment. With the TKO installed, you have one less thing to worry about next time you go to the track.

BTW...What up with this no more racing on slicks crap?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Yes, as was said, that is a good deal. I have over 55k miles on mine with lots of powershifting and no problems yet. Granted I don't have that much power or slicks or anything, but it has worked great. It shifts much more solidly than a T-5 will. Plus, you should be able to knock another .10 off your ET with powershifting. Later!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Kyle said:
Is $900 a good deal considering I really don't "need" the TKO at my power level?

Anyone else?
The way I see it, you really do NEED a TKO. At 320 RWHP and running high 11's, your T5's days are numbered. How many times do you want to pay to rebuild it? Sell the T5 off before it breaks to help pay for the TKO.

I suppose you could go with a 3550, but the TKO is only another $100. You might as well do it right the first time and not have to worry about it later. I love launching at 6K RPM and knowing I can't break!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shane,

I think I'll take your advice. No cage.....means I can't run slicks. ;) Plus launching at 5000 rpm and pulling the tires 6" off the ground can't be good for my car. Now I'll try to see how fast it'll go with the 17" nittos.

Erik,

I hope you're right! Now I just have to learn to powershift.

Brian,

Like I said earlier...I'm not buying it to launch harder on slicks. I'd just like to be able to powershift the car with confidence.

Thanks for all the advice.

Later,
Kyle
'93 Cobra #1058

·
Registered
23 Posts
Something to keep in mind is that the TKO may rob you of some horsepower. Bob C. showed a loss of 13 rwhp on the dyno switching from the T45 to a TKO.
Here's the link: T45 vs TKO Dyno...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TJR said:
Something to keep in mind is that the TKO may rob you of some horsepower. Bob C. showed a loss of 13 rwhp on the dyno switching from the T45 to a TKO.
Here's the link: T45 vs TKO Dyno...
That sucks bad! I read the entire thread...and it's very interesting. Definitely something to think about.

Thanks,
Kyle
'93 Cobra #1058

1 - 9 of 9 Posts