Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing a 410 ring and pinion in my car this weekend and was wondering if anybody knew what the correct speedo gear would be?It's a ex highway patrol car with the 160 calibrated speedo.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanx.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I know the white 23 tooth speedo gear works with 3.73s and 4.10s a regular Fox but don't know if the 160mph speedo requires a different cable.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car has to be 273,it seems to be geared very high.I'm not for sure about the present speedo gear.I just bought the car last week and haven't got to start working on it yet.Thanx.

·
Corral Charter Member
11,387 Posts
do a search on my user ID in this forum (search button at top of page) and you will find EXCELLENT info, including CORRECT PARTS #'s for the correct gears you need to install in your ride for use with 4.10's. Your speedo will be CORRECT after reading my previous tech thread.

good luck.

:)

·
Registered
61 Posts
If it has 2.73 it probably has a 16 tooth speedo gear now and a 21 tooth speedo gear will be the recommended gear for the 4.10's.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Your local ford dealership parts department can order them for you or you can get them from www.mustangsunlimited.com and other various mustang parts suppliers. I got mine from ford parts department because they usually can have it the next day if it's not in stock.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Just went from 2.73 to 3.73 in an AOD car... How off will it be with the 23 tooth? I guess Ill have to ask a local cop to clock me..

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I am assuming this is a T5 equipped car. Your actual speedo driven gear,(the small one) depends on the tooth count on the drive gear that is installed on the transmission output shaft. According to Ford, '83 to '89 V8/T5 cars had a 7 tooth drive gear. '90 to '95 used a 8 tooth drive gear. The 2001 FRPP catalog has a chart on pg 97 that shows what speedo gears to use for a given rear axle ratio. according to the chart, your 4.10 is not available, unless you change the drive gear to a 6 tooth drive, then you could use a 20 tooth driven gear. The Ford service part number for the 6 tooth drive gear is E-3ZZ-B, colored black. The 20 tooth driven gear is C1DZ-A, colored black.
These calucations assume a 225/60VR15 or equivalent diameter tire. The speedo drive gear is not hard to change, but is best accomplished with the transmission out of the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts