Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this cooling thing is killing me I,ve tried 3 new t-stats. 1 Ford and 2 Stant's. Heres the scenario, First thing in the morning I can get maybe 2 or 3 mins from my house. The heater is not hot and the temp guage is on the "N" of NORMAL. Within 5 minutes the temp guage will creep towards the "L". I pull over and check things out. The upper rad hose is hard as a rock, radiator cap is cold, radiator core is cold, lower hose is cold. If I shut the car off and wait 1 or 2 mins and restart then the temp guage will go back to the "N" and the heater will blow hot. There will be no more problems for the rest of the drive to work (another 40mins and 20miles). The same thing will happen after work on the way home. I've replaced the radiator with a new factory unit, I have no A/C condenser to block airflow, new 180 deg t-stat and I filled cooling system with a vacuum assisted cooling tool. This sucks all the air out for a less likely chance of air pockets. I have a new Stewart components water pump also. I initially thought I had the water pump spinning the wrong way, I've checked that over and over with pics in magazines, on the internet etc. I'm seriously going to trade this thing in Monday if I cant fix this problem this weekend Should I try using one of those hi-perf t-stats? Turn the water pump the other direction? I'm at a total loss here. Thanks for the replies, time to go find some gas and matches for a bonfire!!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Take out the T-Stat....Connect a long hose to extend the "upper" rad. hose...Point the extended hose about 5ft in the air (the higher you hold the hose the harder it is to pump water) Hold it over and away from the front of the car (coolant eats piant)....See how hard or how much pressure the water pump is pushing...It shoud pump the water out very easily at 2,500RPM....That will tell you how good your water pump is...

When the car starts getting hot feel the cooling system parts again...Sound like you have a blockage in the system somewhere...

If you have a blockage its probably after the coolant sender on the intake because you said the guage reads hot but the rad. hoses ETC feel cold..

Hope I could help:D

·
Registered
339 Posts
Fixed, it was the T-stat... Need the Hi-po Raybesto 180 and works fine now..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts