Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ported my heads and changed cam, now when i drive the car overheats. I changed thermostat, but it still does it. I overheated last sunday nite, then drove with no problems until Firday morning, it overheated again. Now I dont know what is going on. The water pump came from a friend who has a R302 block, but he put on an electric water pump. The one i have from him looks different inside from the water pump off an 89 GT which i also have. The pumps should be the same and both should work, right? Or is this a case of a bad head gasket? This is driving me nuts and I cant take it anymore!! HELP!!!!!!!!!! Thanks in advance. Dan

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Isnt the R302 pump reverse rotation? If not, then how did the car run with no problems for almost a week before overheating again? It doesnt make sense. Thanks- Dan

·
Registered
442 Posts
It does sound probable that you have the wrong rotation water pump. Run the engine with the radiator cap off and let it get it up to temperature. Watch the coolant flow, or lack there-of, through the radiator core. If there isn't any or a slow dribble put the correct water pump on.

You did pay attention when you installed the head gaskets to put the edge marked "front" toward the front of the engine?

The thermostat will only work properly in one direction. Is it installed correctly?

Also, if you have a silicone sealer fetish it is a possibilty that excess sealer has pluged the radiator core.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everything was double checked when installing, so i know the head gaskets and thermostat are correct, and theres no silicone or rtv, only gaskets. Thanks- Dan

·
Registered
298 Posts
BadAss88GT said:
The one i have from him looks different inside from the water pump off an 89 GT which i also have. The pumps should be the same and both should work, right?
Not necessarily. Ford shows two water pumps in aluminum. The M-8501-B50 is reverse rotation. The M-8501-F351 is the same pump, but in standard rotation. I still think you are seeing heating problems because of the pump. You might want to double check that before thinking otherwise.

The pumps off 1970-78 302's use the standard rotation. The pumps for 1986-93 302's use reverse rotation.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK I found out the water pump I have off the R block was on a 93 GT with a 347, and it worked on that car, but I pressure tested the system and it leaks around the lower hose-water pump connection. Could this cause my overheating??

·
Registered
298 Posts
BadAss88GT said:
OK I found out the water pump I have off the R block was on a 93 GT with a 347, and it worked on that car, but I pressure tested the system and it leaks around the lower hose-water pump connection. Could this cause my overheating??
Yes it could. The idea behind a pressurized cooling systen is that for every pound of pressure you can gain in the system, the effective boiling point is raised. I don't know the exact numbers, but there you have it. If you can get the hose sealed up, I'd bet your car will run cool.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
You cooling problems are definitely abnormal. I would try a remanufactured water pump, available at Pep Boys for $11. It's cheap and dependable, will probably solve all your troubles.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it appears that the cause was a leaky lower radiator hose. I had the blue goodyear hoses on there, so i got a plain black one from ImportZone (AutoZone) and it seems to be alright now. However, if i have a bad head gasket and i pressure test the cooling system, the pressure should go down, right? Thanks for the help- Dan

·
Registered
535 Posts
if you had a bad headgasket you would either have water in your oil and or water coming out your exhaust. YOu would also be down on power. You may even get bubbles in your radiator.

I am in the desert as well, mine never gets that hot. I am right there with Fisher. Unless I am not moving, then it heats up, but not that bad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts