Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
running down the interstate the car gets to somwhere around the 210-220 range. the car has a new water pump, radiator cap, and i took the thermostat out of the car to ensure that wasnt malfunctioning. the car has the original radiator and heater core.
the car has a 5# blower, 30lb injectors, gt40 intake...probably somewhere around the 300hp mark, am i exceeding the capacity of the stock cooling system ? or could the heater core be a possible cause or??? any suggestions.

·
Registered
200 Posts
my car recently started doing the same thing.runs cool around town,but runs hot on the freeway.turns out i've got a blown head gasket:( oh well,nows a good time to put on some performance heads.:cool:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how can you tell if you have a blown head gasket?...thats what someone told me i should look for.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
You need to put the thermostat back in! Without it, the coolant may not be staying in the radiator long enough to cool off. Seriously.

Your radiator may just be old. I replaced my stocker with a 3-core and solved all my cooling problems, but mine was heating up in traffic and cooling off on the highway. The last time I had a cr that heated up on the highway like that it was because of a cracked head, so you may have a head gasket problem. The cheap and easy way to check for that is to see if you can smell exhaust in the coolant or if it bubbles/foams in the overflow bottle when the engine is running.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Check to see if you still have the front "air dam," which is the piece of black plastic sticking down from the radiator.

When 5th gear fell off my output shaft, I had to drive on the highway in 4th at 3000rpms. That was too much for the stock 160,000 mile radiator on the highway. It was fine in town. A new 3-core fixed things.

If it was doing the exact same thing with the thermostat installed, I would just get a new radiator.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I agree with MFE, do the cheap and simple first.
put a 180 degree therm. back in, flush and change your coolant system and be sure to remove any air pockets.
If that doesn't help then upgrade your radiator, sounds like you need to anyway.
If that doesn't work do a leak down test.
Let me ask you this, are you losing any coolant?
most of the time with a blown head gasket you will lose alot of coolant out of the recovery tank, just about every time you drive the car.
hope any of this helps.

·
Registered
200 Posts
B-RAY said:
I agree with MFE, do the cheap and simple first.
put a 180 degree therm. back in, flush and change your coolant system and be sure to remove any air pockets.
If that doesn't help then upgrade your radiator, sounds like you need to anyway.
If that doesn't work do a leak down test.
Let me ask you this, are you losing any coolant?
most of the time with a blown head gasket you will lose alot of coolant out of the recovery tank, just about every time you drive the car.
hope any of this helps.
thats what made me suspect a head gasket.i was puking out coolant out of the overflow and it was ending up on the windshield while i was driving.i then block tested the radiator and found out i had combustion gases in the radiator.even though i had no water in the oil or oil in the water,i still had a bad head gasket.get a block test done at a local garage.most probably won't even charge you for the test.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts