Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so heres my issue. I recently blew my head gaskets a few weeks ago. So I went and bought new gaskets, and changed the heads since they warped pretty bad. After assembling everything back together, im driving on the highway and notice a coolant smell and see some smoke coming from my hood. I pull over and theres coolant pissing out of my overflow! Everyone is saying my head gaskets are blown but how can this be when I only have 10 miles on them since I changed them? I just changed the thermostat too. When I drain the overflow tank (aftermarket moroso one) and leave the drain fitting open, I get steam coming out. This problem only happens when the car gets up to operating temperature. Bad radiator cap? Thermostat in backwards? Air in the system? Any ideas?? 5.0 with arp studs stock heads and felpro oem gaskets

·
Registered
199 Posts
Completely a guess but this happened to me.

Air in the system, you overfilled the rad/overflow. Coolant and air heat up, expand, leak.

It took me 2 or 3 heat cycles (20+ minutes of run time) before I seemed to have gotten all the air out and I saw 0 fluctuation in coolant level.

·
Registered
35,901 Posts
You warped the stock cast iron heads? You got that thing HOT! Did you check the block deck to see if it was flat/true? Have you checked the oil (dipstick, oil fill spout) to see if you have coolant in the oil?

Go into "CP" and add a signature line -- tell us more about the engine in the car. How/why did you lose the head gaskets? Did it overheat and then you lost the gaskets -- or did you lose the gaskets and keep driving it til it overheated?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You warped the stock cast iron heads? You got that thing HOT! Did you check the block deck to see if it was flat/true? Have you checked the oil (dipstick, oil fill spout) to see if you have coolant in the oil?

Go into "CP" and add a signature line -- tell us more about the engine in the car. How/why did you lose the head gaskets? Did it overheat and then you lost the gaskets -- or did you lose the gaskets and keep driving it til it overheated?
Nope. Never overheated. Its a turbo car so I either detonated or when it went lean on WOT which happened a few times. No I never checked the block deck and im an idiot for not doing so.

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
like Micheal asked did you warp and Junk a set of STOCK cast heads the first time?How bad were the heads warped that you had to Replace them?

The heads you replaced them with did you have the decks checked out on them before you used them?My guess is either the deck of the heads is warped out of spec or you Really ran it HOT and warped the deck of the block.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
like Micheal asked did you warp and Junk a set of STOCK cast heads the first time?How bad were the heads warped that you had to Replace them?

The heads you replaced them with did you have the decks checked out on them before you used them?My guess is either the deck of the heads is warped out of spec or you Really ran it HOT and warped the deck of the block.
One side was warped .007.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im about to throw in a spare 302 I have in the garage. I cant keep putting heads on and off hoping for the best. Im taking these heads off next week to see if they're warped

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
Were they stock heads or aluminum aftermarket heads?????

1 - 9 of 9 Posts