Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
1/4”

Those caps are really meant more for vaccuum and not pressurized coolant. They will dry out and leak at some point. I’ve actually had one fail completely while driving spraying coolant everywhere.

Im using a piece of 1/4” heater hose with a bolt in the end. I did it before when I was stock and it lasted 20 years without failure after a vacuum cap let go. It’s ugly but reliable IMHO. I’ll pull it off and weld it one of these days when I have nothing else to work on.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Tread

Reactions: Wayne Waldrep

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1/4”

Those caps are really meant more for vaccuum and not pressurized coolant. They will dry out and leak at some point. I’ve actually had one fail completely while driving spraying coolant everywhere.

Im using a piece of 1/4” heater hose with a bolt in the end. I did it before when I was stock and it lasted 20 years without failure after a vacuum cap let go. It’s ugly but reliable IMHO

View attachment 1079458
Thanks. Probably will do the same. That’s the second cap that didn’t hold up.

·
USAF retired
9,585 Posts
Dorman sells caps that are made out of the same rubber as radiator hose material, I don't know the number for the 1/4" stuff though.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
ive used the vacuum caps for years. change as needed. not really rocket science. small one, big one over it, fuel injection clamp.

or you can buy them new w/o the nipples.

whatever you want to do though. just don't hook it up to a vacuum port.

·
Registered
864 Posts
If you're not going to use the lines again..

remove the hose, pinch the port shut & TIG weld over it.

no leak guarantee

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Weld/braze it closed and be done with it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts