Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1965 fastback 347 hci v3-si Pro M efi. Tko600 3:55
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wanted to share:
Since I’m bored and still waiting on parts (cometic head gaskets are back ordered six weeks😬)
I was thinking about my fuel and cooling system.
Hopefully I’ll make enough power to justify my new 340 pump (thanks JJ) and I was thinking what if my dual cooling fans were on (Using supplied Pro M cooling fan control wire) at wide open throttle, that would pull voltage down, ultimately to my fuel pump, so I reached out to Chris.

My question:
Hey Chris just wondering if the fan controller turns off at wide open throttle?
I figured it might since the air is already being pushed through the radiator and that would be when fuel pump voltage is most critical.
If not ? what would be an easy way to make that happen?
Car is still down, nothing urgent just curious

Answer:
“The cooling fans are disabled during WOT. Additionally, if system voltage drops below 11 volts, the fans stop”

I think that’s really cool
I love the soft start fan feature and had mine ramp up in two seconds.
They came on so smooth and quietly I’ll probably end up putin a small LED dash light that shows me when the fans are on.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Not to hijack your post foot hill, but I was thinking about the pro-m and cooling system as well. Specially now since this week it got up to 117*. On my car (sn95) I have a single 2 speed fan. If I were to switch to dual fans would the pro-m be able to run them 2 speed as well?
I’m not sure if they would only be able to be single speed, or maybe 1 fan on would be considered low and both fans in considered high?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not to hijack your post foot hill, but I was thinking about the pro-m and cooling system as well. Specially now since this week it got up to 117*. On my car (sn95) I have a single 2 speed fan. If I were to switch to dual fans would the pro-m be able to run them 2 speed as well?
I’m not sure if they would only be able to be single speed, or maybe 1 fan on would be considered low and both fans in considered high?
I went through all your going through.
I was obsessed with how I was going to wire up my dual fan set up.
I use relays almost every day at work and have gotten pretty creative with using them in unique ways and then I saw this and was amazed at how cool this set up is.
Handwriting Product Green Gesture Font

Here is a good video of set up. (He describes two set ups in this video.
I’m talking about the last one
Dual fan using three bosh style relays that turn on both fans on in series (half voltage) at low then when hi temp switch closes, a 5 pin relay switches fans over to parallel.
It works seamlessly from off, half speed, full speed and back as needed.
Super cool set up really!

But.. then I got the pro m system and it just doesn’t get any better.
You’ve got a high speed (pwm type relay that cycles supper fast to turn both (or one single) fan/fans on slowly and you don’t get that big amp draw of fan start up.
I think I had mine set to ramp up to full speed in @ 3 sec and it’s super quiet and like posted above pcm will shut fan power off at wot (letting your fuel pump have more available voltage) and severe low voltage conditions, and ecm learns amp draw/alt load and instantly adjust idle. Everything is so seamless.

I was excited to wire up my fans using series/parallel 3 relay system but the pro m single wire is just the better way.
Wether you have single or dual fans make sure you have a good full coverage fan shroud and flaps that open up when your car is moving forward allowing air to pass through entire rad surface.
I noticed that my fans were hardly ever coming on while moving because air is passing through rad without needing fans because of the rubber flaps.
Btw. I feel your pain. It was 111* here today 😬

·
Registered
191 Posts
Dual speed running through relays is nothing new. Just look at OEM Ford Contour setup. I wired my Mustang and F150 using this scheme.

Product Rectangle Font Schematic Parallel

This is how I wired it up. Only difference to OEM Contour is the PCM triggers the relays on Contour and I used separate temperature/fan control switch (low speed on at 203, high speed on at 215). When driving around fans never come on. In stop and go, low speed will come on, but I have yet to have high speed need to come on (only manually triggered by toggle to check if it is still functional).

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pro m harness supplys the 12v dc power.
You can choose to have it “soft start” /ramp as fast or slow has you want.

The soft start is just fast on-off-on cycling (actually the way most LED flashlights work that have a low mode ,your eyes can’t see it’s so fast.
You shouldn’t have any issues using a brushless fan motor.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The only help you will get is from this forms not from Pro M this Fat ass Chris Richard is waste of money and time
Can’t believe you haven’t got the help your needing.
-Especially with the elegance and grace you carry and express yourself with.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
The only help you will get is from this forms not from Pro M this Fat ass Chris Richard is waste of money and time
just laid down 645 with the pro m. installed by myself with a couple of helpful hints from Chris and others.

Why dont you just sell your system/car and find yourself another hobby? I suggest self reflection.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts