Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well i bought all of the 99cobra stuff, it included 99cobra 4v heads assembled w/cams, tensioners, 99cobra "green dot" fix intake, stock 99cobra throttle body, 99cobra valve covers, 99cobra timing cover, forged 99cobra crank, 99cobra aluminum block, manifolds, 8 COP's, water pump, and the 99cobra engine wiring harness all for $1600!!!

my plans are to put forged internals in the aluminum cobra block along with the cobra crank, put the stock unported 99cobra 4v heads and intake on it, put my paxton novi 2000 on it, and maybe some longtubes. i WILL be using the stock 96gt computer if i can.

what all else do i need to do the swap? what pistons and rods should i get for the new 4v blower motor, and should i go 20 over on the block (he said it was all low milage parts from the same 99cobra)? would you guys do anything differently? i know i should get the heads P&P right now while the heads are off of the car but i dont think ill have the extra cash to get it done and still buy everything else i need to get the swap done.
btw, how much is a P&P job and who should i let do it if i get the extra cash to get it done? should i use the COP's or should i use my 96gt coil packs?

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Any forged pistons you want, maybe some manley or eagle rods...theres a million whats the best piston threads you can search....millions. Its a redundant question on this board. I choose diamond pistons, cp's are good too.

I used my stock 96 GT PCM, harness and coil packs. They mount up to the 99 -01 cobra motors with no problems...you just may need to extend a few wires because of the larger heads. You wont be able to use the knock sensors this way but big deal.You will also have to have an extra coolant temp sensor bung welded on your collant cross-over tube because you have two sensors and the cobras that year had one. Should run you about 15 bucks at a welding shop.

On the block go .020 over and make sure you use a torque plate since the blocks aluminum. Regarding the heads....I did my own...if you have time you can too. I just cleaned up the runners and blended the bowls to the valve seats ..was good enough for 555 rwhp on 13 # boost and 13 degrees timing with stock cams and no intercooler. I still have two more pullies I could go down or add an intercooler w timing and easily push over 600. But im out of fuel system and not feeling greedy for more.

You will also need some 96-98 cobra fuel rails to use your return system if you are not going custom

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i dont have a cobra crossover tube yet, what is the part# for it? aside from the short block stuff, what all parts am i going to need, will any of my 2v stuff cross over to the 4v? basicly all that i have right now for the top-end of the motor is the 99cobra intake, heads, valve covers, throttle body, and manifolds (which i plan to use lt's instead.

i am pretty well mechanicly inclined (i am a ford tech at a dealership), but i wouldn't know where to start on porting a set of heads and i would hate to screw them up!

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
ok. id use the coil packs off your 96. the gt novi 2000 kit won't work. you will need to buy different brackets and stuff plus a different discharge.

eagle rods and CP pistons is what i have. eagles are a bit cheaper, and cp's are a bit more expensive, so i ended up in the middle.

remember to get head studs, main studs and the race fed mogul bearings. new cobra oil pump with billet oil gears, and the stock mls head gasket.

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, make sure the block and heads are flat and true, and the get the mains align honed. thats about it i would say.

oh yeah, you need the cobra oil cooler assembly and i would think about using an electric fan.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
if your a tech at a ford dealership the crossover should be no problem. costs like 100 bux though i think.

leave the heads alone, you don't need to port them to make good power(check sig).

you will need a cobra alternator as well. you will need a different set of headers as well.

new gaskets all around and you are set.

oh wait, did you get the windage tray and oil pump pick up tube with your block?

oh and the cobra pulleys and dampner(the dampner is very important).

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
yeah...all what he said too, for the coolant crossover tube you will need the one paxton sells ...get it when you get the new blower brackets and dicharge tube ( I had to get new ones from vortech for my blower when I did the swap). I was too lazy to type all that above that 99svt32v did, but im not real interested in tech anymore on corral. I did my own motor and heads...its not bad...but you are going a long route. I would have just bought a complete motor to work with instead of piece mealing it.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i didnt get the windage tray or the oil pick-up tube, will my gt pick-up tube with a cobra high volume oil pump work and do i have to have the windage tray if i bought a aftermarket oil pan would it come with the windage tray? and i dont have the cobra pulleys or dampner either, and about how much is an alternator, new, maybe i can find a good used one in the classifieds?

daymn, all of this crap is adding up fast. about how much money am i looking at in extra parts?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Squeezed 96 said:
yeah...all what he said too, for the coolant crossover tube you will need the one paxton sells ...get it when you get the new blower brackets and dicharge tube ( I had to get new ones from vortech for my blower when I did the swap). I was too lazy to type all that above that 99svt32v did, but im not real interested in tech anymore on corral. I did my own motor and heads...its not bad...but you are going a long route. I would have just bought a complete motor to work with instead of piece mealing it.
well i thought i basicly bought almost everything i would need minus the rods and pistons (which i would have changed out anyways if i bought a complete motor) and the little stuff.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
cobra alt. will run you like 235 since you don't have a core.
you can probably find a used one, but i think they are 99 up specific.

the pick up tube is different, so no you can't use that one.
tube shouldn't cost that much.
you can get the dampner and pulleys for about 100
the brackets are 500 from paxton
the discharge and other little pieces will add up. prolly like 300

canton offers a windage tray but its kinda expensive. if you are getting one of their oil pans you may have to use their windage anyway.

all new gaskets, including the hg will run somewhere in the 250 range. head and main studs are about 300 for both. oil pump with billet gears is 350. a new trigger wheel is 20. new cam sprockets and chains are about 100.

headers will vary, just stay away from MAC.

uh, the oil cooler is like 80 i think, the bearings will run about 160.

machine work on the block and balancing will probably total about 450, if not a bit more.

don't forget rings for your new pistons either.

the fuel rails are in the 150 range, and u will probably want 42 or bigger injectors so thats about 300.

its hard to say what the price will be, but it adds up very quickly.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i just found a 04 mach1 motor complete from intake to oil pan for $3000 obo, would this be a better route to go? i would still have to put forged internals in it and sale all of this stuff that i just bought yesterday.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
99svt32v said:
that might be a better idea.

you get the better heads and intake, and cams.

id give that a try
well i took your advise and i am buying the 04 mach1 5spd motor day after tomorrow night, it only has 1200 miles on it. it is complete from intake to oil pan and the guy is delivering it to me.

the only thing it is missing is the flywheel and clutch, what else do i need?
should i tear it down and put forged pistons and rods in it before i put it in?
it is a 5 spd motor so it should have a 8 bolt forged crank in it already right?
will i still need to have the block machined?
what longtubes do you need for a 04 mach1?
which cc pistons and which rods should i go with?
what else should i do to it before i put it in?

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
ok, flywheel and clutch are easy. if you are getting a wiring harness that will be good.

the mach has 10.0 to 1 compression so thats gonna be a bit much to run a lot of boost. might as well take it apart now while its out.

yes it will have the 8 bolt forged crank
you will need to have it honed and the assembly balanced.
longtubes will need to be for 03 and up mach 1s or cobras
i personally went to 17cc pistons for 8.5 compression. im totally happy with this compression. big margin for error.

works like this.

17cc=about 8.5cr
11=8.9ish
9=9.2
5=9.5
3=9.85
0=10.5

rods: go with eagle or manley. the brand doesn't matter, just make sure the manleys come with arp 2000 rod bolts.

what else should you do? put main and head studs in it. new bearings obviously.

thats about all i can think of as of now

·
Registered
242 Posts
How are you going to tackle the fuel system? You will either have to go full returnless or return style. The injector wiring harness will not work the the 96 gt engine harness either.

I beleive you will run into problems with the dash since the Mach's is electronic. I was looking for a mach motor motor before I got the 01 and found it was too much trouble to do.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i am using my stock 96gt wires and lenthening some of the wires, and i am doing a return fuel system with high flow rails, which rails should i buy?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Not sure on the rails. Don't forget to get the sensor for the oil pressure if you decide to use the stock gauge. On my 01 the connector was electronic with a single pin connector.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts