Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon Gents,
Quick, down and dirty...my 90 fox, im in need of a new rack. Its orig power and i want to go to a manual setup. Car is a street driven toy. Slightly lowered in front. Running skinnies in front. Headers are BBK's. I was going to go with a factory manual rack for a 81. Is there anything else I will need like offset bushings? steering shaft? Any advantages gong with flamming river? Gents I need some help here!!

Respectfully,
Dale

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I did that, difference is the input shaft on the rack is smaller on the manual so you will either need an adapter for your stock steering shaft or get a Flaming River or other aftermarket shaft. You *might* run into tie rod end issues, I believe they are different length. Otherwise, I just bolted mine up.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I would recommend not doing I had a quick ratio flaming river rack under my car thinking it would be cool I moved it once around the drive way and that rack come off and I went back to power steering. What a pain in the butt. Mind you I'm 6'6 and 275 so not a little weakly by any means.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
My manual rack is easy to work with whether in a parking lot, driveway or on the street. Is it more difficult than power? Of course, but only a bit. Definitely nothing to sweat over. Ignore those guys.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
im doing the conversion sooner or later as well as i just wanna drop extra weight off the front end. I dont drive the car much but dont imagine it'll be too tough to deal with.

·
Registered
802 Posts
All I can tell you is my experinces. You will be sorry to get rid of your power stuff if your driving this car on the street.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I put a manual rack in my 86 GT and the only time it annoyed me was when parking in a tight space, but then even that was ok.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Driving a manual rack is no big deal go for it .
Ok I did the same thing your doing manual rack from and 81 you need the outer tie rods a flaming river manual shaft I bought the offset bushings .
Some will say not to buy the flaming river shaft I have had one on my car for 6+ years and not a problem with it the main thing to do is when you drill for the set screws dill deeper and use loctite on the treads ones your happy with the install and I also bought slightly longer set screws as I was drilling deeper .

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
i used the 81 rack also... tie rods are the same. dont buy anything else but the shaft adapter from Flaming river thats all u need, remember this came on a mustang so everything else bolts up....

i like mine, with the skinnies driving effort is marginally harder then P/S

·
Registered
183 Posts
i did the flaming river high ratio rack and I am completely happy with it,
only time you notice you don't have power steering is in tight spaces, but if your not a complete puss it's not a problem

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I would recommend not doing I had a quick ratio flaming river rack under my car thinking it would be cool I moved it once around the drive way and that rack come off and I went back to power steering. What a pain in the butt. Mind you I'm 6'6 and 275 so not a little weakly by any means.
:rofl:

Sure it's a bit harder to turn obviously but come on these cars aren't extremely heavy even completely stock and what did people do before ps were standard :)

I've converted three of my foxes to manual and im yet to have a dedicated race car meaning both were heavily daily driven with skinnies and 245's without much issues. If you can handle a little effort to steering when not moving then it's worth the swap if your looking from a bit more control, feeling, weight savings and less stuff to worry about failing/leaking.

Although i've done my conversions using flaming rivers standard ratio kit.

Hope that helps

1 - 13 of 13 Posts