Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to make a nitrous bottle warmer from an electric heating pad (yeah i know i'm cheap)..... so have you guys ever used AC appliances in your car without having to buy an expensive converter?? Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Unless someone knows of a way to take 12v dc voltage and create 110vac @60hz cheaper than what you could buy the convertor for than I believe that you are going to have to buy one of the convertors. With millions of $ spent on R&D on those dc/ac convertors, I believe that you'll find that they are pretty reliable but the price is still kinda high.

I'd be interested if someone does have a way to do it cheaper than what you could buy.

Bill

·
Registered
668 Posts
In order to build one that would work properly would likely end up costing you twice what buying one would cost.

Find one cheap somewhere on the net. I like MCM electronics, pretty good prices.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Be sure you check the total watts of the heater you're using, and be sure the converter you buy exceeds that rating. If the heater only has an amperage rating, multiply the voltage (115) times the amperage to get the watts.

I've seen these DC/AC converters pretty reasonable at WalMart in the car stereo section.

You need to be sure the heating pad you use is not excessively hot. Bottle just needs to be warm room temperature.

By the time you buy the pad and the converter, will you be much cheaper than buying a bottle heater blanket from NOS or other nitrous vendor? They're not that terribly expensive.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Converting AC to DC is easy. Just a transformer, 4 diodes (or rectifier bridge), and some capacitors to smooth it out. That makes a SUPER SIMPLE DC power supply. Basically, a battery charger.

However, to go from DC to AC, which is what you want, that is MUCH harder. The components are more expensive and the design is trickier.

So, you can buy a cheap DC to AC convertor much cheaper that you could build one. You can also buy a 5amp battery charger cheaper than you can buy the parts.

You should also realize that a DC to AC convertor is going to be VERY inefficient. Figure that it's about 30% to 50% efficient.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I bought a cheap power invertor from Wal-Mart ($50) to run a 13" TV and Playstation in our minivan and it kept blowing fuses. I returned it and bought a 300W 2-plug invertor at Sam's Club for $29.99. It works GREAT!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
thanks racin jason for the correction on the terms. something to change dc to ac is an inverter not a converter like in an automatic trans these inverters are not that expensive just check you continous wattage to make sure you got the right size. i bought one off ebay to run skill saws off my super duty and they work great but mine is 3000 watts continous about 18 amps ac, nothing like mobile power to work on cars at the track with drills compressors lights whatever. warm that bottle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts