Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is up ladies and gents, the problem I am having is my top needs replacing and I was wondering if any of you have any experience with this or know of any websites or periodicals that have covered the install and have pictures. Iwould like to do this myself mainly because the only shop in Baton Rouge that will do a good job charges 650 dollars. considering the top only costs 180 I would say that is quite a lot of labor.
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
174 Posts
For a full top, with glass, 650 would be really cheap. I expect that for 650 it's just the top itself. If you don't have to replace the glass, 650 sounds about right.

Usually what fails first is the glass. Or rather, the connection between the vinyl and the bottom of the glass. This is non-repairable, and is heat bonded from the factory. You have to buy the glass if this is what's wrong with yours.

For a full top, including the glass, expect between 1000 and 1100 for parts and labor.

And here's the kicker. There's a reason you can't do it yourself. It's rated at like 10 hours of professional labor. Convertible tops are damn difficult to install correctly. Unless you know what you're doing, you'll likely end up with either a ripped top, or one that leaks and looks really crappy. You'll hate it, and then you'll pay the 1000 bucks anyway.

·
Registered
81 Posts
i went to the local apholstry shop here in tulsa, and to replace the top(not the glass) was ~720 installed. they even fixed my headliner, padded my seats for free.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I heard the new '03 Cobras will have the new cloth tops instead of the vinyl material currently being used. Just some info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.