Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a quick question, My convertible top motor went out. I bought a used/tested one off of eBay. I hooked it up; it spins up like it is going to work, but nothing happens, I am curious if it is out of fluid or something. What can I do to check it? What else can I do to make it work?? Any help will be wonderful!

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
It's been a while since I've looked at mine but as I recall there's a threaded plug that you can remove with an allen head to top off the fluid. Having never replaced the motor myself, I can't say for sure, but I don't see how you could replace the thing without losing fluid in the process, so it probably is low on/out of fluid. As I recall it just uses ATF, nothing special.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should I fill it all the way to the top?? What if I put ATF in there and thats not what it needs?? Will it hurt it?? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
904 Posts
ATF is ok in that pump. I topped mine off a while back, its fine. I sold a few of those on eBay. I always test them before selling them. Try filling the fluid. If it is still not going up, its possible that something else is wrong. The ram(s) could be seized from sitting for a while. Check to see if there is rust on the exposed part of the rams in the interior quarter panels.

Good Luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts