Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whelp since I just found out the convertor i purchased recently is for a big bell, i need to purchase a new convertor. What stall would you guys recommend w/ the following combo.

408 (approx 525 flywheel HP)
Super vic intake
solid roller approx .600" and 260 duration
C4 w/ a transbrake, etc etc
2700# car.
3.73 rear gear
I will drive the car occasionally on the street, but want an awesome track convertor. I will sacrifice some streetability for good track performance. This car is 95% track car anyway but will be driven to the track as well. I will have a 28,000 GVWR cooler on it and a fan if need be. What diameter and stall do you guys recomment? I havent dyno'd the motor unfortunately but it is solid roller and i'll spin it to 6500 at least. Im hoping for some mid to low 10s w/ this combo. before spraying it down the road.

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well now .... how's bout a precision industries stallion stalling at 3200 ...... ???? Mine is set lower, but ... it's great and doesn't overheat.

SR

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
What heads are you running?

I'd say 4500 would be the low end of what you want, but if you're only going to 6500 you don't want to get too high. You want to take advantage of both sides of the torque peak. No more than I know, I'd guess an 8" spinning 5,000 against the transbrake would be pretty good. The converter companies are pretty good at this - it is there business. You just have to make sure you get ahold of somebody who knows their stuff. The challenge is spec'ing a converter that actually gives you the rpm you want, that is why you want somebody who knows what they are doing.

My 8" 4500 is very driveable around town and highway with a big cooler. I don't do it a lot, but I haven't burnt any fluid.

Edit: Don't forget you will be slipping the converter 4-500 rpm's through the big end, so figure that into your gearing combination. I didn't when I changed from a 4-speed and found I suddenly had the wrong gear.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I recently purchased a converter, custom built, billit from a company called Torco, in San Antonio, Texas. It works flawlessly. And get this it only set me back $350. Check out this site www.torcoconverters.com I'm a firm beliver in you get what you pay for, and this place is a true bargain for the quality of the unit. Converters are way overpriced for what they are. Mine has hardened sprag, torington bearings, fully brazed, billit front cover, therefore eliminating the need for anti ballooning plate, anti balloonig plate on rear, dual bolt pattern. And it works. They build them to the spec that your car requires, and for your intended purpose. Let the people that do it for a living help you out when it comes to converters, they have a big gray area about them.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dennis said:
What heads are you running?

I'd say 4500 would be the low end of what you want, but if you're only going to 6500 you don't want to get too high. You want to take advantage of both sides of the torque peak. No more than I know, I'd guess an 8" spinning 5,000 against the transbrake would be pretty good. The converter companies are pretty good at this - it is there business. You just have to make sure you get ahold of somebody who knows their stuff. The challenge is spec'ing a converter that actually gives you the rpm you want, that is why you want somebody who knows what they are doing.

My 8" 4500 is very driveable around town and highway with a big cooler. I don't do it a lot, but I haven't burnt any fluid.

Edit: Don't forget you will be slipping the converter 4-500 rpm's through the big end, so figure that into your gearing combination. I didn't when I changed from a 4-speed and found I suddenly had the wrong gear.
I have ported vic jrs w/ the super victor gasket matched to the head. I want to be able to spin to at least 6500 even though my valvetrain should support close to 8k (stud girdles, solid roller etc). i just dont want to destroy my motor.

dave

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
dave, check out neal chance bolt together convertors

http://racingconverters.com/converters.html

they are pretty high dollar ($1000+) but they are probably the BEST convertor you can buy, plus they allow you to change stalls on your own without sending it in. the 10" bolt together is adjustable between 2000-5500

their shop is here in kansas (wichita) and i went and took kind of a tour a couple years ago and marty showed me how they make their convertors, how they work, and what they can do with them, etc. i was highly impressed with the whole operation

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i cannot afford that much for a convertor mike. I dont plan to change this combo again. Ill probally part the car out next season anyway. I just want one decent summer out of it before selling her.

Dave

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
oh ok my bad

id look nto a TCI street fighter 10" a friend of mine just put a 3800rpm in his coupe (my old white car actually) it works surprisingly well (1.4 60fts) he got one with all the extras and it was about $600 i think

·
Registered
97 Posts
Personally, I would go with Edge. They have great converters at great prices. Andre is the man!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts