Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a GT short block from one guy, and a "99 t-5" from another guy.

I figured that the tranny guy screwed up and did not know what he had and sold me a t-45 for 200 bucks.

I just read a tech art. on this site that said, if you take off the bell housing on a t-45 you can see the gears.....my tranny did not have a bell housing, so did I get a t-5 and guy lied about the year???

Same article, all 4.6 motors have a 6 hole pattern on the crank except for cobra's, which have an 8 hole pattern.....my short block has 8 holes????

:confused: :confused: :confused:

What the he!! do I have????!!!
A t-5 and a DOHC cobra short block???

·
Registered
842 Posts
I think you got had, The t45 has the bell attached to the tranny, and it is like 6 or 8 bolts to get it off. A t-5 only has 4 bolts to attach to bell housing.

Sorry man, I guess you have something to sell now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found another tech art. that says most 99+ windsor blocks have an 8 bolt, but some have a 6 bolt....that was in the gt section.
Anybody have a answer??:confused:

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
If the short block is indeed from a GT, it's from a 99 or 00. Both are Windsors with the 8-bolt flywheel. The tranny sounds like a T-5 from a V6. You would not want to use that behind a 4.6.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I'm not sure that the V6 and the V8 T5's are any different. In 1990, I think, Ford upgraded the T5 to 300lb.ft torque capacity, and there it remained until it went out of service, with the exception of the ones that were used in the Cobra. They were rated at 330 (I THINK - I know the trend is right, but I might have the numbers a bit off).

Pre-'90 T5 is less desirable than post '90.

The only way to tell on the blocks is between iron and aluminum. You shouldn't need a magnet if you remember what they look like. Iron is black or rusty looking, and alum. is silver.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts