Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, right now I am running stock heads, cam, TB. I replaced the intake with a edelbrock unit, but that did not do a thing for me.

I am running the stock pulley on a S trim, and have been thinking about changing the pulley.

Basically my trap speed doesnt increase if I shift at 5400 or 5800 RPMs

So Im thinking if I put a 2.95 pulley on, and shifted at 5400 I would go faster, but...the fact I have stock heads and cam seems to be limiting airflow uptop where a blown car would like to make power. Is it the cam that is causing my upper RPM power problems? Im just thinking that even though I have the boost come on earlier, that when it reaches the 9psi, it wont matter how much more boost I try to cram in, it wont go any faster:confused:

I believe my peak power is at 5200, now is that because of the flow restriction of the heads? or has to do with my cam?:confused:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think it's a combo of alot of things. Aluminum heads are going to greatly breath much better than stock which = more air flow. An aftermarket cam, better yet a blower cam is what you want prefrerably a custom grind, will also increase your air flow. The more "air flow" friendly your engine is, the more effeicent it's going to be. Right now with your current setup, it's very restrictive. Also there's only so much boost you can squeeze into a stock block and stock set up, before you start blowin things up. Also intakes are a big part of all of this. Depends on which Edlebrock it is. Trick Flow or the Holley system max are sweet intakes, again it goes back to better "air flow". I hope that makes a little sense.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If you still havestock 19lb. injectors, you're probably out of fuel.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
88saleen697 said:
If you still havestock 19lb. injectors, you're probably out of fuel.
no, 30lb injectors. Custom JMS chip. Plenty rich up top.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Hey Mike:

The cam I have is an awesome blower cam. This is what it says on the Crane website.

"Good idle, daily usage, with centrifugal supercharger or N/A, mass airflow style fuel injection, good mid-range torque and HP, requires 1.7 ratio rockers, 2400-2800 cruise RPM, 10 lbs. maximum boost with 8.5 maximum compression ratio advised. (50 state legal 85-93, C.A.R.B. E.O. D-225-46) Basic RPM 2000-5500 CRANE PowerMax 2031 (Formerly CompuCam 2031)"

Cam Specifications
214/220 @.050 .513/.529 with a 112 lobe seperation

So you would need a 1.7 Rocker but I love this cam - Also you would need to change the valve springs too. I bought the Trick Flow Valve Spring Kit.....it is awesome.

-Rob-
:evil:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ah, you must have seen my other post...

Unfortunately I still have stock compression, and probably will run more than 10lbs of boost...:(

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
You would be fine man.....I still have stock compression or close to it.

I am going to run an SQ with a AFM powerpipe. The guy at Crane said I would be fine. Give them a call.

-Rob-
:evil:

·
Registered
39 Posts
your heads are a big bottleneck,i have the same problem,i'm actually seeing 11psi on my boost gauge when my blower is pullied for 8 i think the boost is just stacking in the intake because of the stock heads,my stock 17 year old motor has been handling the boost well for a few years now with just injectors fuel pump and 6btm.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
What is a good blower cam that uses 1.6 rockers. I currently have the TFS stage 1.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts