Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got the wiring harness for a 98 Cobra along with the AOL2 computer. Im under the inpression that Im going to have to use all 98 wiring. I still need the guage cluster and dash wiring.

Question is, could I use 96-97 guages and dash wiring, or do I have to stay with 98? Also, whats the difference between the two?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Okay here is my 2cents on this subject, and trust me, I just did this whole swap so I can give you most of the lowdown.

BTW This only applies if you have a 96-97 car...

If you want to use the Cobra computer and harness you will need to do the following:

1) You need the cobra harness that comes up from the transmission. In 96-97 the harness splits into to plugs up near the bulkhead connector and the 98 Cobra harness only has 1 plug.

2) You will need to chase down a secondary fuel pump circuit relay. I believe it is the same as the horn relay.

3) You will need to wire around a resistor on the CCRM block in the inner fender (passenger side). This is for the 98 Fuel system that runs the pump at 6volts until WOT and then a full 12v. Your car is not designed for this and won't run properly, so bypass it.

4) PATS is a major issue here. My car spent 3 days at 2 different Ford dealers that could not get it to sync up properly.

I ultimately went back to the 97 GT Computer, harness, etc because this was too big of a pain in the a**. Of course going back to stock wiring also made it necessary to delete my IMRC system which I didn't mind anyways because they are a point of failure.

You will also need to get a custom chip burned with all of the cobra programming overlayed on top for the GT Computer.. You can get this from www.modularmadness.com for around $350.

I highly recommend avoiding the 98 Cobra PCM and harness... Just too much dang work.

Chad

·
Registered
27 Posts
BTW If you do go ahead and use the 98 PCM and Harness, your instrument cluster in you're current car will actually work just fine.

At least theres 1 thing you don't have to worry about! :)

Chad

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good. Althought I think Im going to swap guages. I dont think my V6 one will do. ;) Thanx for the info. Ill let you know if Ive got any questions.

·
Registered
242 Posts
White97GTVert is right, don't even bother with the cobra ecu/harness. I used my gt harness/ecu as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Blaizon, we are both on the right track except I noticed with his last response he's got a V6 so he doesn't have much choice in the matter ...

I don't really know anything about the V6-DOHC conversions. Hopefully somebody else can chime in and help.

The only other thing is he could try to chase down a computer/harness from a 96-97 car... Probably $$$ though..

Chad

·
Registered
242 Posts
Oh, yeah...

I didn't even notice that.

the anti rice,

Do you have a 98 engine wiring harness or the injector harness cause you will need that as well. If you need the engine harness shoot me a pm I can hook you up.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive got just about all of the wiring from a 98 Cobra. I dont have the dash wiring nor the guages. Would a 96-98 GT harness work? I know Ill need the whole harness, but will the guages work correctly?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would think that the 96-97 GT Dash Gauges and associated harnesses (that clip into the pcm harness at the passenger kick panel) should work just fine..

In fact I am not sure that you even need to change those gauges/harness.... Haven't really looked into this.

Chad

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just call MPS and they said I would need Cobra wiring. Although they said they just sell parts, not install them so they arnt sure what works in what (as far as GT and Cobra wiring together). Guess I should call a shop to see if they know.

·
Registered
27 Posts
All I can tell you on the gauges is that when I did have the 98 PCM / Harness in my car the gauges seemed to work just fine. However, this was in a GT Car ..

Chad

·
Registered
242 Posts
If you haven't already you should download the 97 Ford service cd. You can find it @ www.ranger1.org, I'm not really sure if it would work or not but you can atleast have something to go by.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Blaizon,

that links appears to have an extra " , " in it... Even so, when I went to the www.ranger1.org it comes up and all links are greyed out.. Nowhere to go?

Any Ideas? I wouldn't mind having a copy of the service cd myself.

Thanks,

·
Registered
242 Posts
RE:

White97GTVert said:
Blaizon,

that links appears to have an extra " , " in it... Even so, when I went to the www.ranger1.org it comes up and all links are greyed out.. Nowhere to go?

Any Ideas? I wouldn't mind having a copy of the service cd myself.

Thanks,
Ok, this one will work www.ranger1.org/ford

1 - 17 of 17 Posts