Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done redoing the lower intake gaskets. Either way, I'm going to have to redo that again, because it looks like oil is leaking from the rear of the engine where the lower intake mates with the block. I'm losing coolant somehow, and when I open the cap, I get bubbles coming up throught the overflow tank, and probably in the radiator, as well.

I suspect it's a bad headgasket because I'm having fuel pressure problems that could possibly have cause them to blow, as well. However, before I redid the lower intake gasket there was no loss of coolant, and no bubbles when I opened the radiator cap. The disappearing coolant does not seem to be entering the oil

How could I tell for certain if I have a blown cylinder head gasket?

Chris

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Over-torqued the lower intake maybe? Pressurized coolant systems usually means blown gasket, oil or not. The bubbles usually will smell like exhaust or fuel..

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I hve seen when a lower intake was installed once it lifted both heads and caused a leak but was visible in the oil after a couple houirs.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
And a compression test showing lower-than-normal compression on adjacent cylinders is almost a sure sign of a failed head gasket.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Coolant

Make sure the cooling system is properly bled. After I redid my lower intake gasket (I too suspected a head gasket problem), My cooling system bubbled for about 2 days till all the air got out of the system. A leak down test will also help troubleshoot the problem.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I talked to a mechanic buddy of mine who reccomended I take it to pep boys and let them do a hydrocarbon test. Will this be a sure-fire way of determining a bad head gasket?

chris

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It failed the hydrocarbon test. The bubbles do smell like fuel. My only question is where is all the coolant going? If into the cylinders, why don't I see it in the oil or a white smokey exhaust?

Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts