Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally went to start up my AFR/FTI/EDEL combo last night but when i went to start it, the starter clicked once and i immediately lost all power. All the lights turned off, nothing turned on, I couldn't turn the car over anymore. Absolutely everything shut down. I checked all the fuses and everything is fine, so for now I unplugged the EEC in hopes of rebooting it and regaining power. What could cause all of this and not be any blown fuses. I am guessing that i may have grounded something wrong but no fuses blew. HELP!!!

Jeremy

·
Registered
992 Posts
Bad ground. Check all of your battery cables and make sure the negative battery cable is grounded well to the engine block.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't measured the battery voltage yet. Here is the deal. I tried starting it a few weeks ago but all it would do is turn over and then die. Since then all I have done is grounded the neg. cable to the frame because the battery is in the trunk. Then I added another ground from the block to the frame. I also lengthened my alt. hot wire so that it would go to the fuse box along the frame. Info about the alt. wire in this thread.
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=3643936#post3643936post3643936

Jeremy

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Sounds definatly like a bad battery ground.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But what would be wrong with drilling a hole through the trunk and grounding the battery cable to a stud on the rear frame?

Jeremy

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Whats the condition of the actual cable? Is it corried at all?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are the pictures I promised. The cables look fine to me.

Back of block ground

Which connects to this stud along the frame

Battery cables go through trunk

Positive cable goes to starter while the negative grounds here on a stud by the exhaust

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Is that rust behind the ground cable were u have it bolted to the frame?

If so, grind the rust away so you have a metal to metal connection.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well you were right Outlaw, I grinded away at both the washer and the frame and then plugged my eec back in and i had power back. I tried starting it again and all I got were some backfires and then nothing more, it just kept turning over. Any ideas??

Jeremy

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Definately has something to do with the timing. I would try re-stabbing the disty.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So you don't think it could be anything else besides the timing. I just want to pinpoint one thing and work with it and not have to worry about the chance of it being something else.

Jeremy

·
Registered
84 Posts
Your old problem was definetly a bad ground. Now it sounds like you need to get that timing redone, check the obvious (firing order, wires plugged in etc...) give it a go. If its still there try to 180 that dizzy, last is just to re time the whole damn thing, easy peasy =).

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When you say check the firing order, you just mean are the plug wires going to the right plugs from the distributor, correct. Not the computers firing order.

Jeremy

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I think I have done just about everything with checking the timing and it just won't start. I've 180'd the dist., checked the firing order. The rotor and cap are online. I just don't know whats holding it back. It either backfires or does nothing. Theres no in between.

I need everyones help

Jeremy

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know I have spark and fuel, it backfires. And I can't use a timing light yet because the motor has to be running in order to use it, and it doesn't run. DAMNIT this is getting tiring. Someone has to have some unusual trick to getting the motor started. Someone pleaaaaaaaase, :confused:

Jeremy

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Would my starter not turning fast enough be causing the problem. It doesn't seem to be turning over that fast, but still has some speed to it. It seems to be on a one second pattern with the rotation. It seems like it should be turning faster than that. Maybe I don't have my trunk battery ran correctly. Anyone???

Jeremy

1 - 20 of 36 Posts